Interim Solution to GC3 Secondary Panel?

While I wait for the GC3 secondary panel to be released, my new GC3 Panel still sits in it original box. I’ve purchased PAD1s to use in the interim, but afterwards learned that the PAD1s, once installed and located out-of-view to the main GC3 panel, have no visual indication that the GC3 is armed-that’s a problem for my family. I fear that accidental alarm triggering will become a daily occurrence as my kids fiddle with the PAD1s to establish system status.

To complete the PAD1 “interim” solution, I’m looking for Z-Wave devices that can be placed near each remote PAD1 that will show a visual status (armed/disarmed) of the GC3.

I’ve found a possible 3rd-party Z-Wave device solution (Homeseer HSM200) with a large single LED that can be programmed to change color, based on the status of the GC3 alarm system (i.e. Red-armed, Green-NOT armed). This device is advertised as being compatible with any Z-Wave certified system controller (GC3?) that supports “Z-Wave Color Command Class”. But, I can’t find any 2GIG documentation that answers the following question:

Does the GC3 support “Z-Wave Color Command Class”? Can you help with the answer? Thx!

Does the GC3 support “Z-Wave Color Command Class”? Can you help with the answer? Thx!

2GIG does not really publish info regarding command classes, but I would say the answer is likely no. We will check with 2GIG reps to verify. This in particular is a multi-function sensor device and those are not compatible with any dedicated Alarm systems for the most part.

In the GC3, Z-wave device associations are possible to set up dependent on alarm and arming status, so it would definitely be a handy addition to make something like that compatible. If it is not currently compatible we will make a request regarding this.

An alternative solution might be a plug-in lamp module and any plug-in indicator light.

Thx Warren - I’d appreciate it if you could check with your 2GIG rep for a solution

The lack of remote visual arming status, using a PAD1 solution, is lame, but I appreciate the alternate idea of using a Z-wave module and a table lamp as a visual indicator of armed status. Unfortunately, that doesn’t really meet the needs of my busy household. I recall reading somewhere that I can’t even use another GC3 panel as a secondary panel (am I right, even though my wallet is wide open to buy a second GC3?).

But, I remain appreciative that SuretyDIY provides this forum with experts like you willing to help us DIYers. I’ll check this post periodically to see if you are successful in talking to the 2GIG reps

Aero

I recall reading somewhere that I can’t even use another GC3 panel as a secondary panel (am I right, even though my wallet is wide open to buy a second GC3?).

No, as a primary control and communications unit, you cannot use two in the same network. 2GIG is working on a new secondary option, so a proper resolution isn’t too far off.

Unfortunately every all-in-one panel I can remember has had this staggered release of a secondary unit. The teams pour most of the development time into the primary panel and then work on a secondary it seems.

Thx Jason you give me hope.

-Aero