Image sensors do not function as stand alone PIR motion detectors?

I turned off my ADC cell radio on the 2GIG panel Q91(0), and then did a walk test (after I noticed my first floor motion detector (image sensor) was zeroed out for the MAC, and the battery status).

The IS went offline and was rendered completely nonfunctional which surprised me, as I expected to lose only the Image capture capability of the sensor, but have it still function as a normal PIR motion when the cell module was disabled (considering it is installed as 900mhz panel device, and programmed as a panel interior follower motion detector sensor).

In a nutshell, turning off the cell radio, turned off the PIR motion detector/Image sensor.

I was not aware that this 2nd gen PIR motion detector would be rendered inoperable and useless if the cellular communication/ADC backend connection is lost/disabled. I got rid of some of my PIR1 sensors when I “upgraded” to the 2GIG-IMAGE1, now I am thinking that may have been a mistake…

is this by design, or is this a bug?

2nd gen PIR motion detector sensor (IS) dead when cell radio powered off:

It is not rendered useless on communication loss.

Try completely removing the cell module and activating an alarm with your Image Sensor. Works as a standard PIR.

Not entirely sure why Q91 would affect it that way (I got the same result). Does your TS1 function and communicate with the control panel with Q91 at (0)?

Not entirely sure why Q91 would affect it that way (I got the same result). Does your TS1 function and communicate with the control panel with Q91 at (0)?

TSI is fine. Communicated on walk test at least. Removing cell kinda defeats the purpose of just turning it off via the programming options without having to open the panel or remove MB modules…

Can you follow up with 2GIG? Just wanna know if it’s by design (and why), or if its an unintentional bug in the firmware.

Ok, let me rephrase.

I have just removed the cell module in our panel and the Image Sensor sets off an alarm as normal per interior follower programming. I have replaced the cell module and removed the antenna and the image sensor sets off an alarm as normal. Q91 affects it in the way you describe.

You can replicate this.

Cell Communication Loss does not impede image sensor function locally as a PIR. Q91 does.

I think we are on the same page… just to confirm your ARE saying that setting Q91 to “0” affects the IS as I have described, correct?

I want to know why Q91(0) (which turns off the cell radio) also kills the Image sensor’s ability to function locally as a standalone PIR.

Cell radio Power Status “OFF” (via Q91):

I’ve forwarded that on to ADC. It looks like Q91 doesn’t completely affect the transceiver as well, which would be my first guess.

I want to make sure we are on the same page because this:

I was not aware that this 2nd gen PIR motion detector would be rendered inoperable and useless if the cellular communication/ADC backend connection is lost/disabled. I got rid of some of my PIR1 sensors when I “upgraded” to the 2GIG-IMAGE1, now I am thinking that may have been a mistake…

is this by design, or is this a bug?

is not correct and was the question asked.

Q91 has an effect of communication loss, but it also has additional effects it seems.

Q91 being switched away from (1) is literally telling your panel it is not using Alarm.com. Image Sensors are an Alarm.com product and function with that back end service. Q91 will disable communication with Image Sensors if changed.

The strange part is that turning it off (0) even allows the Image Sensor menu to be accessed. Switching to (2) for example will remove the Image Sensor status from the panel entirely.

Another “side effect” of setting Q91 to 0…

appears the daily periodic test cell communication failure issue is back…

I have a theory on Q91…

I was thinking, how does the panel know how to configure the bridge for the provider (considering it will now work with three different ones)? some do not require the cellular module to be used (Uplink), and to my knowledge the bridge isn’t customizable for programming the IP’s other than local. SO how does the panel know to use the Uplink communication protocols as opposed to the ADC ones?

That’s where Q91 comes in, it sets panel to use the communication protocols selected when you choose 1 (ADC), 2 (Telguard), or 3 (Uplink) regardless of whether or not there is a cellular module installed or not, and since the Image1 is Alarm.com, that’s why I suspect it inadvertently completely disabled it when set to “0”.

This would also explain why the Image1 still functioned as a local PIR when Q91 set to 1, and cellular module removed (or lost signal with antenna removed), and why it is removed completely from panel when Q91 is set to a non ADC protocol (e.g., Q91 set to “2” or “3”).

I think this is more of a 2GIG firmware issue, than an alarm.com issue…