How do I turn on a garage stereo via zwave?

I have a stereo in my garage. Currently I can turn it on and off with a universal remote and IR extender

I want to hook this up to my 2gig system and ADC so I have more flexibility and range as I can use other devices such my phone

Problem is, a simple on off lamp switch won’t work because to turn on the stereo, it has to receive an “on” command from a IR remote. I use URC PRODUCTS BTW

Any ideas?

2gig is quite limited with the z wave devices it’ll control. But this can be done. Look at the Hall Research HR 4P (admittedly not cheap). It can send IR (or rs232) commands responsive to a closed contact sensor closing or opening.

You now need a Z wave switch that’ll operate a relay. If you’re handy with wiring, the easiest way is to get the relay module from Linear or Evolve, put it in an electrical box (you can wire it to a plug in cord if you like), and connect the dry contact outputs to the Hall. Another idea is to find a 120v plug in relay, which you would plug into a zwave module and then wire to the Hall. Although off hand I’m not aware of any like this.

The idea is that the 2 gig is just controlling a normal Z wave switch, and the Hall is doing the magic with translating this to an IR command.

Look at the Hall Research HR 4P (admittedly not cheap). It can send IR (or rs232) commands responsive to a closed contact sensor closing or opening.

This is a good idea for this application.

Implementation of IR control would require at minimum two devices. The mimolite would work as the Z-wave dry contact for this as well.