Honeywell sensors with 2GIG?

I am interested in the 2GIG control panel, but can I use my current Honeywell system door contacts and motion sensors?

You should be able to use most of your door contacts and motion sensors, as 2GIG is compatible with Honeywell. Are your sensors all wireless, or do you have wired sensors? Do you know the models of sensors you are currently using?

Dexter thanks for posting my question for me.

My system is wireless and I think I have the 5816 door sensors and 2 5800PIR motion detectors.

Those Honeywell sensors are compatible with 2GIG. You’ll be able to learn them into a 2GIG panel without any additional equipment (such as takeovers required for wired equipment).

Is it pretty easy to do? Can you help with instructions on how to do it once I purchase the 2GIG panel? I’m looking at changing from another company but I’m a little apprehensive - the last company setup all of my components for me and all I had to do was “install” (most components came with 2-sided tape) and I could call with questions.

Absolutely. That’s what the forum is for. Here is the programming cheat sheet for 2GIG to give you an introduction. This thread on learning in 58XX Honeywell device may also be of help. This thread discusses learning in 5816 Honeywell sensors.

Here are examples of what programming looks like to see if you’d be comfortable with it - 2GIG Motion Detector and a thin door/window contact.

Thanks Amanda! One last question – how long does it typically take for the control panels to ship out?

Orders typically ship out within one full business day.

I got my package and I’m currently installing. I have 3 questions:

1. First, which equipment code should I use to program in a Honeywell 5800PIR motion sensor?
  2. Second question – do I select ‘existing’ for equipment age question, or do I select ‘new’ (they are new to this system, but are a couple of years old since I used them with my old Honeywell system).
  3. Last question (for now) – what equipment code do I use for a Honeywell Keyfob?

Thanks!

1. First, which equipment code should I use to program in a Honeywell 5800PIR motion sensor?

As per this thread: “There is no 2GIG equipment code for the 5800pir-res but the equipment code doesn’t matter, it’s just for documentation/inventory purposes. Go ahead and use 0533.”

2. Second question — do I select ‘existing’ for equipment age question, or do I select ‘new’ (they are new to this system, but are a couple of years old since I used them with my old Honeywell system).

Again, doesn’t really matter. Its there for security alarm installers to keep a record of what they installed. I’d put “existing”, but this question has no bearing on programming.

3. Last question (for now) — what equipment code do I use for a Honeywell Keyfob?

What model keyfob are you using?

Not sure on the keyfob. Couldn’t get the panel to detect the door sensors when programmed as loop 2. When I use learn mode they default to loop 1 and the doors chime and show as open when we open a door. The door sensors are wireless Honeywell 5816 door sensors – should these be programmed as loop 2? Just trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong…

Thanks

Keyfobs are a bit different, with additional button sequence programming, and are not all identical. Non-2GIG keyfobs will not be 100% functional.

If you need a keyfob with the system, you will want to replace.

Is your 5816 being used along with a magnet for its internal reed switch, or is it connected to a wired door contact? could you remove the cover and post a photo of one of your 5816s as it is mounted?

It turns out that my door sensor is Honeywell’s 5811. I temporarily took each one down to get the 7-digit serial number and programmed in using the serial numbers. None of the doors will work with the ‘loop 2’ selection but they all work with ‘loop 1’ selected – don’t understand why because they are wireless with magnets – is there something unique about the 5811?

Ahh, well that changes things. Loop 1 is the correct loop for a 5811. I do not think a 5811 has a hardwired contact input.

Great! I think I got the keyfob working too this morning! My only issue now is my 2 existing motion sensors (both Honeywell 5800PIR). I programmed them both in using their serial numbers. Although both show on my alarm.com account with a status of ‘ok’, one showed up this morning as activated when I logged in but the other did not. Is the best way to see if the motion sensor is working properly is by tripping it?

Thanks again! By the way, love the alarm.com app and the 2GIG panel seems cool!

I do not think the panic functions on a Honeywell match up with 2GIG Fobs. Make sure to test thoroughly to know it functions properly. I may be recalling from a prior firmware though.

The “Activated” status is not a good way to test. There is a significant delay for motion detector activation status as far as sensor activity monitoring goes.

The best way to test is either by running through an Alarm scenario, or using the system test feature. This page goes over how to test your 2GIG System sensors.

Awesome…thanks!