Honeywell 5800 SS1 intermittently "offline"

I have a 2GIG GC2 and have installed a 5800 SS1 shock sensor. I installed it on a window across the house, but observed it was not responding (loss of supervision). So I replaced the CR2 battery, and it seemed better.

Then it was going “offline” intermittently. That means the panel reported “offline” and I received a notification from ADC that it went “offline”. It takes a few hours to come back “online”.

So I returned it, and purchased another one. This one seemed fine for the first two weeks, then it started doing the same thing. It goes “offline”, once every 2-4 days. This time I thought maybe the signal wasn’t good. I have a repeater that I purchased when I had a similar issue with a DC10 contact sensor in the yard, so I moved this repeater to be within line of sight of the SS1. It’s clear line of sight and 10 feet away.

It seemed good, but it just went “offline” again two weeks later. The repeater was showing a green light meaning it has a signal.

At this point, it seems the problem is not resolved, though it is improved. I don’t have enough data to know how frequently the problem occurs when the repeater is there.

I’m hesitant to say that this sensor is defective, since it seems the same problem I was having with the first one. Does anyone have any :

1. comments on experience with these sensors?, or
  2. recommendations for what to try?

Offline errors generally fall under one of the issues described in the post linked above.

Is the sensor mounted to metal or near a lot of metal? If it is near the corner of the window try moving it along the frame away from the current spot.

If you test the sensor by moving it closer to the panel for a while and the offline issues do not stop it is likely a sensor/system issue. Generally you will see the offline errors stop when you move the sensor close for a while.

If you have another one of that model you can swap the locations to test.