Home security/automation basics for the novice

Is there a really basic tutorial on using Surety from the ground up? Have a two flat we are renovating into a single family home and I would like to pre-wire things, but I’m new to home security systems and have no idea what is the best approach. Some people say use a wired system and others say WI-FI. The diversity of control boxes and their options adds a major dimension of confusion to our plans. We would like to have two zones for HVAC, a few cameras, and motion sensors. Should we add smoke detectors and light controls to the mix? Any best practices for new home security/automation planning appreciated. Thanks for any help in this quest, it is sorely needed.

For the most part the sensors are all Wireless (but not wifi, they have their own encrypted frequency), and battery life is 5 years plus. However, there are instances where wired might make sense. I would at the very least bring power to where you want your panels, those require power. If you want your panels cleanly mounted on the wall, bring the power to the rooms that you want the panels on the wall and for your security cameras (power and CAT). smoke detectors definitely you need power, too.

In its most basic form, this page walks through what to do if you are just looking to get started quick.

Some people say use a wired system and others say WI-FI.

FYI I think what you mean here is wired vs wireless sensors. Wireless in that statement doesn’t mean Wifi. Just means communicates wirelessly via an RF protocol. This will be different depending on the panel type.

This can already get out of the realm of a “basic” tutorial, as the discussion of benefits of wired vs wireless sensors can go on for a while.

Long story short, we sell Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ because we find it to deliver the most value and best experience. It is a wireless sensor system using PowerG and a legacy radio version (either 319.5 GE, 433 DSC, or 345 Honeywell)

You can reuse existing wired zones with a Hardwire 16F.

The diversity of control boxes and their options adds a major dimension of confusion to our plans. We would like to have two zones for HVAC, a few cameras, and motion sensors. Should we add smoke detectors and light controls to the mix?

No need to choose right away on what all to install. You have full control over your account with Surety and can add or drop features as you go instantly via our website. You can install equipment whenever you want to add it to the system.

For what you mention however, the Surety Complete plan would be the best fit and would cover everything.

Smoke detectors being added to the system can have a big impact with the obvious benefit of 24/7 monitoring of your home for fire conditions, but also less obvious ones such as bigger discounts on your home insurance due to having active fire monitoring.

I think you are on the right track with the pre-wiring. You can get a lot of value for minimal cost by pre-wiring windows and doors for alarm sensors. Wired alarm sensors are a fraction of the cost of wireless ones when you add it all up, so being able to monitor 16 zones of wired sensors with one Hardwire 16F can save a big chunk of money depending on how many sensors you use.

Getting down to decision time. I went to sleep for a few months and now need to make decision. The easy thing is to contract with ADT since that’s what a bunch of people in the neighborhood do. How can I avoid the obvious and still have a system that is easy to operate and install. Looking to local alarm companies that are affiliated with alarm.com for their install options. Does this sound good? The walls are still open so they could wire up some contacts. I considered doing this myself but don’t have the skill set or knowledge to pull it off.

I have gone over the web site 3-4 times and cannot find the surety complete plan. Lots of easy clicks but no complete plan opens up.

With surety u won’t have to worry about contracts

What is surety complete? How do I look at this plan on the site. Does the 16F unit appear anywhere on the surety site?

Yes it is on here very last plan it’s $29 a month and yes the 16f is on the products page

Ok thanks found it, but mine shows $24 per month.

There an options for 24 where ur self monitor or 29 with monitoring

I thought the 24-29 was for monitoring? If you pay $24 what is it for if not monitoring?

Where would I look at the wired alarm sensors? Also, is there any gain to using wired poe cameras? Are those available to use on the Q panel or would they need some device to attach?

Professional operator monitoring is one part of the service, and an optional part. It is $5/month hence the $29 for Complete with monitoring or $24 self-monitoring.

The bulk of the plan cost is for Alarm.com services, cellular data charges, and provider support/features.

Where would I look at the wired alarm sensors?

To clarify, are you asking about where to find new wired sensors to install in the home? If so have you pre-wired for sensors or still have the option to do so?

We do not sell wired alarm sensors, but they are inexpensive and ubiquitous. A good selection can be found on Amazon. Here is an example of a wired recessed Door/Window from Honeywell.

Also, is there any gain to using wired poe cameras? Are those available to use on the Q panel or would they need some device to attach?

The primary benefit of a POE camera is the potential for centrally controlled data and power through a POE switch for your cameras, and just not having to rely on Wifi for camera connection.

If you can pre-wire to camera locations, it’s always a good idea to consider.

The cameras would not physically connect to the IQ Panel in any way. You would power them via a POE injector or POE Switch.

In Alarm.com, you can select to stream the camera video to your panel screen.

Yes I was wondering where to get the wired sensors and if there is any specific kind to get for the 16F panel? Can POE video be monitored professionally using your setup? Sorry for being dense but what is the $24 month for if not for monitoring? Thanks.

Yes I was wondering where to get the wired sensors and if there is any specific kind to get for the 16F panel?

See answer above, Amazon is actually a decent source, there is a link up there, but there are a lot of vendors online for hardwired sensors, often in multi-packs which will save more money, though they are very cheap compared to wireless.

There is no compatibility issue with wired alarm sensors. If you have a wired alarm sensor it will work with the 16F with the proper resistor packaged with the 16F.

Can POE video be monitored professionally using your setup?

Visual Verification is a feature available with the Complete plan, yes. This would mean that in an alarm event, operators would be able to view cameras you have designated in Alarm.com as verification cams, allowing operators to identify if an intrusion is likely real or false alarm.

Sorry for being dense but what is the $24 month for if not for monitoring?

See the first part of my prior response.

Professional operator monitoring is just one part of the service, and an optional part. It is $5/month hence the $29 for Complete with monitoring or $24 self-monitoring.

The bulk of the plan cost is for Alarm.com services, cellular data charges, and provider support/features.

Alarm.com software and data processing, cellular data charges from the carrier, support from your provider, all of that figures into the plan cost.

I thought if you have no monitoring you won’t need a cell service plan?

I thought if you have no monitoring you won’t need a cell service plan?

Service through Alarm.com requires a cellular connection for communication. However, there is no separate cell plan/charge through Surety, it is baked into the service plans (Surety Home, Complete, etc). already.

Monitoring refers to 24/7 professional monitoring, where professional monitoring center operators call you in the event of an alarm and contacting local police/fire/medical dispatching authorities if needed.).

Security service plans through Surety can be purchased with, or without, 24/7 professional monitoring.

Lemme try this again, I have a house with an alarm system installed with no company support, just a local alarm that I monitor while at my house. How is this different from the no monitoring option of Surety?

If you don’t have your compatible system connected to Alarm.com, you are simply tracking the audible beeps of when a sensor triggers. You can arm the panel and the alarm can be tripped but this is local awareness only.

Alarm.com service allows for remote control of the alarm system through the mobile app/website. It also allows for notifications to be created based on certain criteria (when a door is opened, when the alarm is triggered, etc. ) This allows you to more accurately track your system via self monitor. This is available through the Surety Alarm, Surety Home and Surety Complete service plans.

I see. Is there any plan that includes video notifications to be set up that would be acted on by the monitoring center? Say when a camera detects a person in a certain location the center would make a call to your cell or look at the video to see what’s up? Or is the video used only for after the fact purposes if no alarm is triggered from a sensor? In other words what constitutes an alarm event which visual verification would be used?

Is there any plan that includes video notifications to be set up that would be acted on by the monitoring center? Say when a camera detects a person in a certain location the center would make a call to your cell or look at the video to see what’s up?
Or is the video used only for after the fact purposes if no alarm is triggered from a sensor? In other words what constitutes an alarm event which visual verification would be used?

An alarm would need to be triggered first in order for monitoring operators to get involved.

Visual Verification is a feature that allows Monitoring Operators the ability to view footage from connected cameras during an alarm event. The event needs to occur first before operators have access to cams.

• Example: Panel is armed and a sensor (glass break, motion, contact, etc.) is triggered causing the panel to go into alarm. This sends a signal to monitoring station to get the ball rolling on verifying the events validity and to contact dispatch if necessary. It is during this time period they would have access to connected cameras.
    • operators would have access to footage 15 minutes before the alarm, during the alarm and for 15 minutes after the alarm.

Visual Verification is only included in the Surety Complete and Surety Protect service plans and requires the 24/7 Professional Monitoring.