Home Energy Meter Plot

at times, I’m finding it hard to read the x and y-axis on the Home Energy Meter Plot when using the alarm.com plot. Is there a way to make the axis’s font larger? Customizing the color would also be nice.

Please see screen shot from my phone to give you an idea what i’m talking about. It reads better on the computer, but when reading from my phone its a little tricky.

My phone is an Android 9 OS.

There isn’t a way to adjust the font. That is not a direct copy of the website table though, so it should be something easily adjustable. We can send an enhancement request to ADC regarding this.

thanks, Jason. The screenshot is from my phone. The alarm.com website plots are really good!

If ADC can tweak the app version, that would be great.

noticed something odd about my display plot for the Home Energy Meter

When in my alarm.com app:
I can see, 24 hr usage (i.e. hour-by-hour energy usage), 7 day usage and 21 day usage

When in my alarm.com web interface online:

I can see 7 days, 21 days, 6 months and 12 months. There is an option to see my 24 hr usage (i.e. the hour-by-hour), however, when I select it, it doesn’t actually show me the 24 hr usage.

Any idea why are there discrepancies in viewing my energy usage plots between the app and online?

Looking into it, it looks like the 6 and 12 month options are missing from the mobile app. In order to view those portions, you would need to be logged in to the website.

Energy monitoring information looks as though it was designed to be viewed primarily via the website as it offers more detail etc.

thanks, Tyler. That does make sense.

Any reason why I cannot view the hour-by-hour usage (i.e. the 24 hr usage) on the website, though?

The Usage in the mobile view for 24 hour shows information but the Website doesn’t?

How long has this gone on?

yes, that is correct.

Since I had the Energy meter installed (about a month ago)

That’s very interesting considering that data does populate in the mobile app.

What browser do you use? Are you able to check this from a different browser?

I use Google Chrome Version 79.0.3945.130, and IE 11.1622. Still cant see the 24 hr plot on either.

The option is there, its selected, but the plot doesn’t repopulate to reflect the 24 hr selection view.

While it could be a hardware issue, it doesn’t sound likely, given that the accurate data is appearing in the mobile app.

Is the rest of the data in the Usage tab via the website populating correctly i.e 7 day or 21 day), does it match the mobile app?

Yes, the rest of the data is populating correctly and matches that of the app (at least for the 7 and 21 day formats).

I don’t see this issue testing our accounts with energy management, using the same browser version. This would likely be an issue specific to your account or device. I’m not aware of any reasons why the same info wouldn’t be accessible from the app and website.

I would recommend having your dealer troubleshoot with your settings and electricity provider details. See if the same occurs when looking at usage in kWh vs cost.

thanks, Jason.

This is really bizarre, and would like to share some more experiences, perhaps it I could get this resolved sooner with the extra help.

I’m using the HEM and HDSS(Sump Pump). The HEM is identified as a “Power Meter” device and the HDSS is identified as a “Z-Wave Sump Pump Meter”. I have the sump feature activated on my account, I can see the blue (idle) sump pump icon, after my dealer paired it with my flood sensor (in the sump pump basin). The notification for sump pump alerts has been created with all scenarios and recipients selected.

Here is a scenario, the sump pump runs for at least 10 seconds (rather than actually running my sump pump dry in the winter months, I just unplug the sump and connect a power drill to the HDSS and run it on full for a least 10 seconds). What happens next i will separate in to two streams:

Alarm.com app (my phone, Android 9): No notifications that sump is running (via text, email or push). Then I proceed to view the energy usage, so click on Home Energy Meter (parent), then click on the indented Sump Pump energy plot. Nothing listed for 24 hr, 7 days and 21 days. And this is even after waiting hours after the test.

Alarm.com online: I click on activity, energy usage, click on the Home Energy Meter pull down menu and select sump pump. In the 24 hr view, no usage listed (even on the HEM, but this is a separate issue). Then I proceed to the 7 days, 21 days, 6 months and 24 months and the usage appears exactly when I did the Sump Pump test! Further to this, to test if the devices are communicating ‘on demand’ I click on get energy usage now, and it reads both meters no problem within 3 seconds (even when the sump pump is under load).

To recap, these are the issues I’m seeing:

1. No notifications at all when the sump pump runs
  2. No usage shown on the sump pump activity on my app (regardless of time frame), however, it does show when i login at alarm.com to view the 7, 21 days and 6 and 12 month usage but NOT for 24 hrs. usage.
  3. My HEM does not show 24 hrs usage (only) when i’m viewing usage from my online account (but otherwise, working as it should on the app and online for the other time frames)

Even if somebody wanted it like this, how could you set it up? This is bizarre to say the least.

Thankfully, my sump pump will work when it has to, just I wont know it!

No notifications at all when the sump pump runs

Running a drill on the HDSS is not guaranteed to be adequate.

The Sump Pump must activate and draw more than 100W of power (ADC doesn’t specify, but this may mean per second, not aggregate) for ADC to register the Sump Pump is on and the Sump Pump notification to be generated.

Here is a page describing sump pump testing.

No usage shown on the sump pump activity on my app (regardless of time frame), however, it does show when i login at alarm.com to view the 7, 21 days and 6 and 12 month usage but NOT for 24 hrs. usage.

My HEM does not show 24 hrs usage (only) when i’m viewing usage from my online account (but otherwise, working as it should on the app and online for the other time frames)

That is definitely strange, and I can’t think of anything that would cause that specifically.

I can’t replicate these unfortunately. We cannot open, view, or comment on support tickets in Alarm.com for other dealer’s customers, but it would be good to request that your service provider escalate this to Alarm.com.

Some things to rule out, as well as info that might help if others have a similar issue:

What model of phone are you using?
What version of the OS is it?
What version of the Alarm.com app?
Do you see this on multiple different phones?
Do you see this same issue if you create and try logging into a new user login?

thanks, Jason. As always, I appreciate and look forward to you and your teams input on my issues/question.

Indeed I’ll have to test the sump pump properly as described in the video, once spring comes. I should mention, I have also tested the actual sump pump before, simply by bypassing the float switch and plugging in the pump directly to the HDSS, and within seconds, I would get a notification (however, this was pre-HEM installation and pre-SDK software update and pre-z-wave network reinstall). Now, doing the same thing, and even running the sump pump (dry) for longer times (5 to 10 seconds), still no notification. May I ask, even with my current testing with the power drill the energy energy usage shows up on my online plots, why wouldn’t it give me a notification? It seems to register something. It does show that I’m using 0.001 kwh (on my last test) which by your definition could be too low, but, as I mentioned, pre-HEM install I would get the notification under the same test conditions (using the sump pump only) within seconds. I’ll have to put this on hold until I truly test it, or just wait for the spring melt.

For the usage plot questions:

Sony Xperia XZ1 (G8343)
Android 9 (build 47.2.A.11.228)
Alarm.com app: 4.10.16
My wife has a iphone 5 and same issues
Just made a new login to test this, and indeed the problem is the same.

thanks again

I have also tested the actual sump pump before, simply by bypassing the float switch and plugging in the pump directly to the HDSS, and within seconds, I would get a notification (however, this was pre-HEM installation and pre-SDK software update and pre-z-wave network reinstall)

Ok, if you were seeing the same testing result in expected notification previously, that is important, and based on what you are describing I would guess that the HDSS set as a downstream meter is primarily relevant to the issue (possibly the usage display as well).

Have your dealer try removing it as a downstream meter from the HEM and then edit and re-save the notifications. Try testing again. Any change?

oh that is an interesting suggestion! you bet I’ll try that next. Post an update when I do.

Yes, please do. Sorry I may have missed it in a previous post or if it was in a different thread, but yes if you have tested successfully prior to setting up the HEM I would investigate that first. It sounds the most likely given what you are seeing and is easiest to test.

I don’t think the SDK update on the Qolsys panel is likely involved.