Help with door sensor behind blackout curtains

I recently installed a Qolsys IQ 2 panel and door sensors. I’m having a hard time getting one of the Qolsys IQ Wireless S-Line Recessed Door and Window Contacts to work properly. It’s on a sliding glass door in the master bedroom and it’s located pretty far from the panel. So I’m also using 2 Resolution RE524X repeaters. The repeater’s panel and sensor settings are all set to interlogix/GE.

When the blackout curtains are open ie. not covering the sensor it works very well but when the curtains are shut which is 95% of the time, the sensor signal doesn’t make it to the panel. Funny thing is, the green light on both repeaters blink as if they are picking up the signal every time the door is opened and closed even with the curtains covering the sensor.

I need to get the sensor to work reliably with the curtain closed. What options do I have?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Which sensor in particular is mounted on the Sliding door? How far away from the panel is the sensor?

So I’m also using 2 Resolution RE524X repeaters. The repeater’s panel and sensor settings are all set to interlogix/GE

If you are using the RE524X to repeat the S-Line sensor, note this will not work as they are not compatible with one another. The RE524X would only work to repeat with legacy 319.5 MHz sensors.

What is the blackout curtain made from? Sensors mounted on or near metal can have their signal reduced.

Sorry the door sensor in my previous post was wrong. It’s actually a Qolsys IQ Mini Door/Window (White) https://qolsys.com/iq-dw-mini/. The green LED lights blink on the repeaters as if they are receiving a packet when I open and close the door. Does that mean they are compatible?

The blackout curtains are just a heavier cloth material…no metal backing or anything like that.

The panel is about 70 feet away from the sensor with a few walls in between.

If the repeaters won’t work with that sensor then maybe a sensor that will work with the repeaters is the answer.

Thanks for replying!

First, you may want to try changing the “Source” setting on the sensor from S-Line to 319.5 MHz, do you see a change in communication? This should allow the RE524x to pick up the sensor now. Of course, you would lose the encryption.

Otherwise, are you able to move a different sensor to that install point? This could rule out any issues with the currently installed sensor.

To change the source setting for that sensor do I just edit the sensor and choose 319.5 on the panel? Thanks!

Yes can be accessed via Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Installation-> Devices- Security Sensors-> Edit Sensor. Try selecting RF Sensor 319 instead of S-Line and save.

So last night I went to change the sliding door sensor from S-line to 319 like you suggested but it was already set at 319. That kinda makes sense since the repeaters’ lights flash when the sensor changes state…meaning the repeaters are receiving packets. The panel didn’t have the option to change it to S-line. Some of my Qolsys IQ Mini Door/Window sensors did have the option to change them to S-line but not this one and some others didn’t have that option either. I’m guessing the ones without the S-line option were older stock when I bought them recently…Bummer!

So back to the issue. I could change the sliding door sensor (319) behind the blackout curtains with another of my Qolsys IQ Mini Door/Window sensors that will allow S-line if you think the S-line signal will help with the panel’s reception even though they wont have the advantage of repeaters.

The odd thing is the repeaters’ LED blinks green meaning they are receiving the signal when the sliding glass door is opened even with the blackout curtains closed but the panel somehow doesn’t get the signal. I have the “panel select” set to interlogix/GE. Is that correct? I assume it is since I was able to add the repeaters to the panel and if I open the repeater, the panel recognizes that action as a tamper. So the repeater seems to be communicating with the panel correctly. When I open the curtains, the panel recognizes the sensor changing states so that led me to believe it’s the heavy curtains.

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Thanks again!

For some reason I don’t see my last post. This is a test.

So last night I went to change the sliding door sensor from S-line to 319 like you suggested but it was already set at 319. That kinda makes sense since the repeaters’ lights flash when the sensor changes state…meaning the repeaters are receiving packets. The panel didn’t have the option to change it to S-line. Some of my Qolsys IQ Mini Door/Window sensors did have the option to change them to S-line but not this one and some others didn’t have that option either. I’m guessing the ones without the S-line option were older stock when I bought them recently…Bummer!

So back to the issue. I could change the sliding door sensor (319) behind the blackout curtains with another of my Qolsys IQ Mini Door/Window sensors that will allow S-line if you think the S-line signal will help with the panel’s reception even though they wont have the advantage of repeaters.

The odd thing is the repeaters’ LED blinks green meaning they are receiving the signal when the sliding glass door is opened even with the blackout curtains closed but the panel somehow doesn’t get the signal. I have the “panel select” set to interlogix/GE. Is that correct? I assume it is since I was able to add the repeaters to the panel and if I open the repeater, the panel recognizes that action as a tamper. So the repeater seems to be communicating with the panel correctly. When I open the curtains, the panel recognizes the sensor changing states so that led me to believe it’s the heavy curtains.

Thanks again!

I can’t see my last post. Here goes again…sorry if this is a double post.

Thanks again!

So last night I went to change the sliding door sensor from S-line to 319 like you suggested but it was already set at 319.

If the Source cannot be changed, then the sensor is not an S-Line sensor, just a standard 319.5.

I could change the sliding door sensor (319) behind the blackout curtains with another of my Qolsys IQ Mini Door/Window sensors that will allow S-line if you think the S-line signal will help with the panel’s reception even though they wont have the advantage of repeaters.

Note that both the standard and the S-Line have the same specs when it comes to range, so swapping the standard for an S-Line at the install point likely wont matter.

I have the “panel select” set to interlogix/GE. Is that correct?

Yes, if just using the RE524X as a repeater you will want to set the Panel and Sensor select knobs to the same setting (Interlogix/GE)

What type of material is the sensor mounted on? If the sensor is mounted on a metal frame, this can affect the sensors signalling.

Try swapping the sensor in question with another one. This could rule out communication/range issues with the existing sensor. If you put a different standard sensor there do you see a change? (Id suggest using the 319.5 over the Sline if overall range is an issue so it can utilize the repeater)

Thanks! All that makes a lot of sense.

The sliding door does have a metal frame (it’s thin and just around the perimeter of the door) so the sensor is stuck (with double sided tape that comes with the sensor) on the metal part of the door at the top. I tried another sensor and it does the same thing. I also popped the current sensor off the door and it works flawlessly just a few inches away from it’s current location (when not behind the curtains and not on the metal frame.)

Surely metal frame doors and curtains are common to alarm sensors…hopefully there’s a solution.

Odd thing is the repeaters are receiving a signal just not the panel even though I know the panel and repeater communicate well together in their current locations.

Metal can interfere with signalling which could explain the issue. However the blackout curtain blocking the signal is interesting in and of itself. You dont happen to have the brand/make of the curtain do you? I realize that sounds odd but something in its makeup could be blocking the signal.

How far is the sensor from the RE524X that it is paired to? Is it only paired with one RE524X? Have you tried moving that repeater closer to the sensor?

A potential workaround, you could use a hardwired contact with the Qolsys DW mini Extended or a Resolution Products RE101. The wireless sensor would act as a transmitter (mounted near by but not behind the curtain) to report the status of the wired contact (mounted on the sliding door).

I’ll get the brand and make of the curtain for you when I talk to my wife tonight.

When you say how far away is the sensor from the RE524X that it is “paired” to…what do you mean by “paired”? I set the repeaters up this past weekend and entered them into the panel (learned) and they were already set (both panel and sensors) to interlogix/GE so that’s really all I did. I saw the green LED blink when the sensor changed state so I thought I was done. Was I supposed to pair all my sensors to the repeaters?

Back to your question, I varied the distance between sensor and repeater and once had one repeater as close as 3 feet away from the sensor and when the curtains were closed (between the sensor and repeater’s line of sight) the sensor stopped working. The green light on the repeater did blink indicating it was getting something from the sensor though. The other repeater is about 30 feet away and only has 1 wall in between. This is all (repeaters, panel, sensors, etc) in the downstairs (2800 sq ft) portion of the house.

I like your potential work around but only as a last resort since it could be an eye sore. It just seems like something else may be going on here since the distances aren’t that far apart and I’m using 2 repeaters. There’s also not many walls between the sensor and panel. I guess it could be the metal door or curtains but it still seems odd the repeater is getting the signal from the sensor (hence LED blinking green) but not the panel when I know the repeater communicates with the panel since it reports the repeater as “tampered” during tests.

I’ll report back more info on the curtains. In the meantime, please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks!

When you say how far away is the sensor from the RE524X that it is “paired” to…what do you mean by “paired”?

Sensors being translated/repeated by the RE524X must be learned into the panel and the repeater, per the manual.

Shoot, I missed that. I’ll report back after the sensors are paired. I have 10 total door sensors. Most work great. Should I go ahead and pair all 10 sensors or just the sensor I’m having problems with? I guess it wouldn’t hurt to pair all 10 in case something changes in the future like furniture configuration, etc. I think I’ll try to see if using one repeater will work and if not I’ll try both repeaters.

If I need to use 2 repeaters, should I pair all 10 sensors to both repeaters or just the pair each sensor to one repeater? Also, do I need to pair the repeaters together so they can repeat each others signals or does that mess something up?

Thanks!

Pairing the repeaters together would cause a feedback loop which should be avoided. The same could be said for pairing one sensor into both repeaters. Stick to one repeater per sensor.

The repeater should be centrally located between the panel and the sensor(s) requiring the repeater.

If you are only experiencing issues with the sensor behind the curtain, try just learning that one sensor into the repeater. Try moving the repeater to ensure that the signal is consistent (when the curtain is drawn). Does this resolve the issue?