Hardwire 16F with an external siren

Hello -

I recently purchased an IQ 2+ Panel along with a Hardwire 16F to take over an existing system that included a hardwired siren. The translator is learned into the panel, with a type of “hardwire translator”. All of the sensors seem to be working properly. My issue is that I cannot get the external siren to sound when I do a siren test under panel tests.

The siren is a Honeywell 747PD which from what I had read is 12VDC 120mA, so should be good I believe. Under the 500mA rating at least for the 16F, with no other motion detectors or anything else on AUX yet. I have a jumper from AUX OUT to SIREN IN. The + for the siren is connected to SIREN OUT, and the - is going to AUX GND. (picture attached).

I connected the siren with the Hardwire 16F powered off, and I have rebooted both the translator and the panel since. The translator was already learned into the panel though before I added the siren, so I’m wondering if that could be an issue.

Any thoughts, or insight would be appreciated. I’m not sure what I am missing, and the documentation is a bit lacking when it comes to troubleshooting.

Thanks,
-Steve

The wiring looks right. Although based on the manual, the siren should be wired prior to powering up and pairing with the panel.

However, based on previous user experience and troubleshooting, there may be an issue when using wireless activation that limits output. Although there has been no word on whether or not this a bug or by design.

In this case, using the wired input method should work. See optional wiring here in the manual here.

I have my exterior siren wired this way. It doesn’t sound when using the Panel Siren test, but does sound during an alarm.

Thank you for the replies. I experimented a bit to see if the siren would sound during an actual alarm event, but still nothing.

I finally had some time to run wire from the panel to the translator this weekend, and wire it up according to the optional wiring method in the manual. That seems to have done the trick. The stubborn part of me wants to know why wireless activation isn’t working, but there is a wire there now and things are working so I should probably move on.

Thank you for the replies. I experimented a bit to see if the siren would sound during an actual alarm event, but still nothing.

You mean when it was set up for wireless activation?

The stubborn part of me wants to know why wireless activation isn’t working,

Understandable. We will follow up if we hear word back from Qolsys on whether or not this is a bug or by design.