Hardwire 16 Learn Problems

I installed my Hardwire 16 per the instructions and transferred the wiring from an existing DSC board. When I follow the instructions to learn the translator into the IQ panel, it doesn’t respond as the instructions indicate it should. After I press and hold the EOL Learn button, all zone LEDs illuminate when the instructions say they will turn off. When I short the tamper to learn the translator, the IQ panel finds three door switches instead of the translator. Of course, I don’t know which doors it’s finding since all LEDs are lit. I’ve run the process three times with the same results.

Recommendations?

I performed a system reset and the HW16 is responding as expected (LEDs blink and then go out when entering EOL Learn mode); however, when I trip the tamper in order to auto learn the HW into the IQ, the IQ shows the newly learned sensor as a door/window, not a hardwire translator.

This is frustrating. I should have thought to do a reset earlier, but having the IQ learn the translator as a door/window makes no sense.

This is turning into a journal of my ignorance. I forgot that the default sensor information for all auto-learned devices is door/window and I must enter the correct info. I have the HW16 in the system and have learned almost all of the sensors into the IQ. How I did that caused me some problems.

My HW16 is in my basement where the original DCS panel was located. Almost all other sensors are on the main level. Each time I would move toward the stairs to actuate a sensor, I would trip the basement motion and receive a “Sensor XXXXX is already enrolled” error. I thought to get around this by shorting each zone with a jumper and enrolling that way. It seemed to work until I began walk testing each zone to ensure I had them all named correctly. Three of my four doors indicate tamper when opened and active when closed. Some of the windows do as well. I’m guessing that the sensor is alarm-on-open (NC) and I learned it into the system as alarm-on-short (NO.) I’m surprised that some work as expected.

My next step is to test all sensors, delete them all, reset the HW16, and re-enroll all devices. When I re-enroll, I will have an assistant manually cycle each sensor like the instructions say I should. I will have to mask the motions, but that’s not a big deal.

I’ll keep the journal going until everything is working.

I forgot that the default sensor information for all auto-learned devices is door/window and I must enter the correct info. I have the HW16 in the system and have learned almost all of the sensors into the IQ.

Yes, any wireless sensor learned into a Qolsys Panel will default to D/W. Select the appropriate zone type from the drop down.

I’m guessing that the sensor is alarm-on-open (NC) and I learned it into the system as alarm-on-short (NO.) I’m surprised that some work as expected

No, the Hardwire 16 measures the resistance on the circuit of each zone upon learning the sensor. This is the resistance the Hardwire 16 then looks for to determine closed. If you use a jumper with 0 resistance, then install a sensor on that zone with an EOL Resistor, the Hardwire 16 will not properly recognize the state.

It is a good solution in that it offers very accurate tamper reporting (should someone try to short the circuit to gain access) but it does make installation a bit more of a pain.

I would recommend wiring up motion detectors last one by one. That way the basement motion detector will not trip each time.

As I expected, deleting the sensors from the IQ, resetting the HW16, and learning each by actually cycling the state worked to correct the tamper reporting.

On an unrelated note, the IQ panel is very adept at speaking sensor names with one notable exception. It won’t say the word “gun,” even though “gun safe” is a preprogrammed sensor name. When I named a sensor “gun safe,” the panel speaks “G-U-N safe open.” I’ve never had it spell any other word.

Huh, haven’t run into that. What firmware version are you on? Curious to see if we can replicate.