Guidance for providing power to outdoor camera

I recently purchased the ADC-V724 outdoor camera and I’m wondering what the best practices are here for providing power to it.

My plan is to mount it outside above the garage and underneath the gutter. There is an outlet box directly below that I theoretically could plug into. However, the one concern is that the wire is then visible from the outside. I’m not sure how important that is if the outlet itself is secured with a cover + lock. Is this how folks are installing this camera or is there a better way?

I suppose I could also drill a hole and supply the power from inside the house but my preference is to avoid that if I can.

Generally, I would not recommend the power source for the security camera to be visible and accessible. The camera should be installed in a way which limits the ability to tamper it or the power source easily, including the cable. Even if the exterior outlet is covered and locked, the cable would need to be protected.

The best practice would be to power from an interior outlet.

Thanks Jason.

Is there any guide on how to do that properly? Do I need to hire an electrician?

Alternatively, is there a way to protect the wire if I do in fact plug directly into an outdoor outlet (assuming I have locked the outlet box with a lock). Perhaps a wire cover?

Steps for installation would depend on your situation, the device, and the mounting location. Commonly wiring can be routed up through the soffit into attic space, then run to an outlet of your choice. Given your description this may be the best option.

You could potentially use conduit to protect the cable, but it is usually better to run the wire inside.

You could hire someone to do so if you do not feel confident in the installation.