GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4 Z-Wave Garage Door Opener

Hello. I have found this forum to be extremely helpful in setting up my DIY 2GIG GC3 system. I have almost completed the setup, but I am stuck with a recent issue I was hoping to find a solution for on these pages. I recently included a GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4 Z-Wave Garage Door Opener. The unit operates as intended and appears under Smart Home settings as a Garage Door opener, and does just that - opens and closes the garage door. I did however expect more from the system, like including it into the Wireless Zones to trigger an alarm and sensor reports. The only option I saw was to pair the included tilt sensor into a wireless zone. However this did nothing and I could not get the tilt sensor to trigger any event. So I am not sure if the Linear GD00Z-4 Z-Wave controller can be setup for this requirement, or if I’m just missing a crucial setup function to enable this feature. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

The GD00Z-4 itself cannot be used as a sensor. Z-wave devices do not impact the alarm status of the GC3 (or any Alarm.com compatible panel, dedicated alarm panels use their own sensor RF frequencies for alarm sensors)

The included tilt sensor cannot be used with the panel as I do not believe it communicates via Honeywell 345 using a loop number.

You would need a dedicated 345mhz tilt sensor like the RE206 or 5822T or a wired heavy duty garage contact with wireless transmitter. See this page for more info.

Thank you very much for your quick response and helpful info. You have confirmed my suspicions. My mistake for believing that this device would serve a further purpose than just that of a glorified garage door opener. I really don’t see the point of keeping the GD00Z-4 as it is much quicker opening the garage door with any remote, than having to navigate through several steps via the GC3 panel. For the same cost I could purchase a tilt sensor, a door contact, Universal Garage Door Receiver and remote, or even a motion detector to completely secure any garage. With these options, why would anyone even need or want a GD00Z-4?

Well, it is going to depend on intention, but if you do not use a service provider it will have limited function on a GC2/GC3.

Through suretyDIY and Alarm.com, the GD00Z gives a visible status of the garage as open or closed on the Alarm.com app, and you can open and close the door from your smartphone, from anywhere.

The GD00Z is not really meant as a local manual control device, and it is not an alarm sensor.