GoControl Garage door tilt sensor stopped working

I have a GoControl Garage Door Controller GD00Z-7. It’s been working well for the past few years until a few days ago when the tilt sensor stopped working. The tilt sensor no longer reports correct status, it has always reported garage door opened regardless of the actual status of the garage door.

I assume the issue is with the tilt sensor since I still can control the controller. I changed the tilt sensor’s battery and it didn’t help. What else could I do to troubleshoot the problem? If the tilt sensor died can I buy just the new tilt sensor that works with the garage door controller?

This is almost always caused by the tilt sensor battery. I would double check the battery polarity, and pull the battery, allowing the device to be off for 60 seconds before powering it back up.

Any change?

No change. I tried changing the battery again and double checked the polarity. When I put the battery back I can hear a short beep from the controller. But the sensor status is still stuck at reporting door open.

I notice there is something loose inside the sensor. I’m not sure if that’s part of the sensor and is expected or if something actually came off.

Would you mind posting a photo of the sensor and the component you are referencing?

Here are the photos of the tilt sensor:

I notice there is something loose inside the sensor. I’m not sure if that’s part of the sensor and is expected or if something actually came off.

What is the loose part you are referencing? Is this something you just hear inside?

You can find the tilt sold by itself, believe the part number is LNRTLT01

The loose part is inside. I can hear it when shaking the sensor. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be that way or is it a sign that something came off?

That’s probably normal. Tilt sensors often use a ball switch where a little ball weight rolls to close or open the switch when the orientation changes. I believe the GD00Z one does.

So it seems like aside from verifying battery is fresh, I’ll need to buy a replacement unit correct?

Yes, likely, though I would also first try re-pairing the tilt to the GD00Z unit.

Hold the side button on the GD00Z for 7 seconds until you hear a beep. Tilt the sensor to change its position a couple times.

If no luck, I would replace.

Thanks for the suggestion on re-pairing the tilt! After re-pairing as well as un-plugged and re-plugged the controller the sensor is now working again. Thanks a lot for saving me from buying a new sensor!