Glass Break Sensor not tripping panel

Hello,

I have a Qolsys IQP4001 panel with a Hardwire 16 S (QS7131-840) hardwire translator and I’m trying to install an Interlogic 5820A-W glass break. At the glass break I get the red light when I test, but nothing happens when I set the panel. I’ve tried both home and away modes, but nothing.

Thanks

So that we can best assist and look into the system, what is the name of the sensor and the Zone number in the panel?

Sunroom Glass Break

Where do I find the Zone #?

Thanks

Thank you. I see that device name programmed as Zone 21. It looks like it is programmed fine.

Glass break detectors can be difficult to properly test. From the manual of that device:

The sensors are designed to detect the breaking of framed
glass mounted in an outside wall. Testing the sensors with
unframed glass, broken bottles, etc., may not trip the sensors.
The sensors typically do not trip to glass breaking in the middle
of the room. To verify sensor range and operation, you need to
use the UTC Fire & Security 5709C hand-held tester

I’m using the 5709C.

Are you putting the sensors in test mode first when testing with an armed system? I have not used this particular model of tester, but in the sensor manual it looks like this will likely not generate an alarm but only activate the sensor LED when in test mode. Test mode continues for 1 minute each time the sensor is activated within test mode.

Can you describe how you are testing the alarm activation of that zone?

Hi Jason,

I was just using the tester and not putting the sensor in test mode. Do you know how to do this?

Thanks

I have never personally used that tester and glass break, so there may be idiosyncracies we aren’t considering, but based on the manual and what is explicitly written you should be triggering an alarm.

We can rule some things out first to make sure the circuit should alarm if the sensor trips properly.

If you disconnect one of the sensor relay circuit wires from the sensor while the system is armed does that trigger an alarm?

Hi Jason,

Earlier you mentioned that the sensor is Zone 21. I just realized that my HT has only 16 zones. Am I not looking in the right area?

Thanks

The Zone numbers in the panel do not need to match up one for one with the Hardwire. The Zone numbers will be matched to whatever order you learned in sensors.

The one with the name you gave was zone 21.

Hi Jason,

Sorry about the delay, but I finally had some time to look into this further. It appears that I didn’t have the sensor hooked up correctly to the hardware 16. I thought the glass break sensor could be hooked up to either of the Aux and Ground terminals, instead it can only be hooked up to the one with the power.

Here’s what I found when I tested the sensor.

1. When the sensor is in test mode and the system is armed in home or away mode, the tester trips the alarm,

2. When the sensor isn’t in test mode, and the system is armed in either home or away mode, the alarm doesn’t go off.

What I don’t understand is shouldn’t the sensor trip the system regardless of whether it’s in test mode? What puts the sensor into “test mode” in a real world situation that wold allow it to trip the system to make it function correctly?

Also, when I was testing the system and the alarm went off, the call center didn’t reach out to me. Am I still connected to the call center?

Thanks

From the manual’s wording it appears that sensor will only trip an alarm due to actual broken glass from an outside wall window when not in test mode. To use the hand held tester to create an alarm, you must put the sensor into test mode first.

Due to Interlogix shutting down its alarm system business years ago, if you have concerns with this model of glass break I would recommend replacing with a currently manufactured model of wireless glass break compatible with the panel, like the PG9922 or the QS1431.

Also, when I was testing the system and the alarm went off, the call center didn’t reach out to me. Am I still connected to the call center?

I see an example alarm event earlier for the glass break zone. The alarm resulted in no calls due to the system being disarmed before dialer delay expired. To read about dialer delay, how it works, and how to disable it, see the link below.