Getting a RE116-U to work with my Panel

Have not heard of resisters being sold attached to measurements other than ohm, but I would assume either should work.

Well, we are talking about Radio Shack here. The employees are usually completely clueless regarding just about everything they sell (unless its a cellphone plan, or peripherals).

Hey Rive - I was looking online before I went to the store, their website shows both options.

Hey Rive - I was looking online before I went to the store, their website shows both options.

I am stil trying to get Jason or Amanda to tell me what the circuit current is (what the bell circuit operates at in milliamps)

Source: http://www.instructables.com/answers/Which-is-the-best-wattage-for-an-resistor/

The wattage is the amount of energy the resistor can dissipate without failing. This depends on your application, but use Joule’s Law of P = I * I * R. If your circuit operates at 50mA and the resistance is 330 Ohms, the power dissipated by the resistor is 0.825 Watts. Resistors come in 1/8th watt, 1/4 watt, etc values

When in doubt, get a bigger wattage

What matters is the voltage of the 2GIG bell circuit and the resistance of the resistor. The current coming out of the 2GIG bell terminal depends on the equivalent resistance of the circuit (the resistor and the siren transmitter in parallel) but the current going through the resistor only depends on the voltage across the bell terminals and the resistor itself.

Since I = V/R, another way to write that formula is P = V/R * V/R * R = V * V / R. In this case P = 14V * 14V / 4700Ω = 0.042W. That’s less than 1/4W (0.25W) so the 1/4W resistor would be fine.

You’re right though, if you’re not sure then use the one with the higher maximum power rating. You can’t go wrong with a higher maximum power rating. The difference in cost is far less than the time you would spend driving back to Radio Shack if you’re wrong.

I placed one resistor inline for each Bell+ and Bell-, the resistors are 4.7K 1/2 WATT and still the same behavior. The Q21 is set to 30 sec. Once I place the the battery in the siren it goes off.

Any more suggestions?

Just for clarification, you should only use one resistor, and it should have one lead screwed into Bell+ and the other end screwed into bell-.

Are you using two resistors or did I misread?

Aha… I used two resistors, one for each lead :slight_smile: Let me try removing the resistor on Bell-.

Removed the resistor from Bell- with no luck. Below is how I have it connected it.

According to the pdf posted in this thread the resistor should be in parallel. That is what I described above. The resistor’s two ends should be screwed into bell+ and bell-. Where did that particular drawing come from that you posted.

like this

Jason, apparently I missed the “in parallel” suggestion and placed the resistor inline, I made the correction and it appears to work now.

Thank you.

According to 2GIG, 820 ohm resistor will work, so why are we using a 4,000 ohm resistor (4.7k)?

Or am I misunderstanding this? Or is it this particular RE116-U requires 4k ohm?

This is for the Resolution Product Universal Siren. Resolution Products includes and directs use of 4.7kohm resisters for this equipment.

So, basically, the resistor is dependent upon the sounder used per manufacturer recommendation (as determined by sounder voltage and mA) Correct?

Yes, it’s dependent on the siren. The control panel just provides voltage. A Piezo siren behaves like a capacitor and it needs to oscillate to make sound. The parallel resistor gives the capacitor a path to discharge after it charges up, hence the oscillation. I’m just guessing but perhaps the RE150 Special Transmitter has a capacitor to make it “look” like a Piezo siren to the control panel so that siren supervision on the control panel will still work?

RE116-U 2GIG Diagram

RE116-U Wiring Diagrams