GC3e wifi vs AP mode

Hi,

I just installed a Ubiquiti Dream Machine which seems to have killed the ability for my SP1 to bind to my GC3e. Does anyone have experience with the UDMs and know what I can do to fix this? I read that it could be auto-optimize, but I can’t find that option anywhere in UDM.

In the mean time, however, I tried pulling both panels off wifi and connected them via the GC3’s AP mode which seems to work.

So, my question now is, is there any negative to running the GC3 on AP mode and not having it connected to the Internet? I’m not exactly clear what the GC3 does over internet that it doesn’t do over cell.

Thank you!
-David

I can’t speak to your specific router model, but if used in a Mesh wifi configuration, that will generally cause problems.

Like cameras and the SVR, if you connect your SP1 and GC3 together via your LAN, using a mesh network will cut the connection because it removes the stability of the LAN connection.

One work-around would be if you can set a dedicated band for your devices to connect to based on MAC. I have not seen this as a possibility in Mesh routers yet myself, where user settings are simplified and the router controls device connections, but it may be possible.

Otherwise, yes you could set the GC3 in AP mode and connect your SP1 directly to it.

Disconnecting broadband backup will possibly result in some command latency, and you’ll be reliant only on cellular.

Thank you. I spoke with Ubiquiti tech support and they instructed me to turn off auto-optimization. Once I did that, the panels connected again.

In case anyone asks this in the future for the Ubiquity Dream Machine, this is the solution!

Thanks,
David

Thank you very much for the follow up!