GC3 Zwave Network check randomly runs

I have had my GC3 for about a year now and this is an ongoing problem I keep hoping every firmware update will fix. (I am running the latest available on this forum). I have about 11 switches (Linear), 2 locks (kwikset 914’s) and 2 Linear GDZO-5 garage door openers.

Randomly, you will try to do something with z-wave and it will say z-wave not ready and you find that the network check is running. I have rediscovered network several times and after the last addition as well. I also went so far as deleting all z-wave devices, running a discovery and re-adding them all but the problem still occurs. The farthest device is 35 feet tops and those are the PLUS garage openers and there are a couple switches in between that distance.

Anyone else having this problem or can think of a reason or solution… Thank you guys.

Z-wave network checks do take time, often 5+ minutes. During a Z-wave network check, local controls at the panel will not be available. This is normal and expected.

To clarify, how often do you see this happen?

Atleast once a day if not more often… I know this is not scientific, but seems like when you need it, its doing a check…

Also now, for some reason, yesterday on node 0 - “garagedoor” started displaying. It wont operate either garage door, which are functioning properly but it just showed up… The problem initially described has been happening for over a year.

Also now, for some reason, yesterday on node 0 – “garagedoor” started displaying. It wont operate either garage door, which are functioning properly but it just showed up..

Are you referring to a trouble condition showing up? It doesn’t look like this is related to a suretyDIY subscription so I would be unable to confirm any issues on the back end unfortunately. So we may best assist, could you post a quick image of any trouble alert or error you are seeing on your panel that you are referring to?

Jason, thank you so much for the reply. I guess to my original issue… How often should i expect the GC3 to conduct a network check on its own? As your aware, during this time, all zwave functions are disabled. Is once a day or multiple times a day normal?

In regards to node 0 - garage door… No error message. I have to garage door openers titled “left garage door” and “right garage door”. Randomly under my zwave garage door screen on my panel, a new garage door appeared called “garagedoor” . When I go into the zwave device menu I see that gadagedoor on node 0. My left and right garage doors are node 14/15. On the new one (node 0) I can only hide or rename and can not configure within the zwave device list.

I guess to my original issue.. How often should i expect the GC3 to conduct a network check on its own? As your aware, during this time, all zwave functions are disabled. Is once a day or multiple times a day normal?

Trying to pin down at what intervals the automatic network check occurs. Once I have more information I will follow up here.

Regarding the mystery node, have you tried running a Network Rediscovery? Any Change? If possible, please provide an image of the panel displaying that node.

Are there any logs of when network checks occur on my panel?

Yes I did a network rediscovery and the mystery node is still there.

So I just armed the system through adc with my sleep scene. My lights were not shutting off as set up in scene/triggers. I go to panel and see it’s running a check network again. So third time I have seen it today alone.

My lights were not shutting off as set up in scene/triggers. I go to panel and see it’s running a check network again. So third time I have seen it today alone.

That does seem excessive and it normally shouldn’t impact normal operation.

What all models of Z-wave devices do you use?

Do you have another controller on the network?

No other controllers.

When its doing the check, I can not use any zwave functions. It says zwave not available I believe

qty 2 - GD00z-4’s

Several WS15Z-1
Several WD500Z-1
Several WT00Z-1
(total of 11 of the above switches combined)

Qty 2 kwikset 914 locks. 1 is the z-wave plus. The problem was occuring before adding the second plus 914.

I was thinking about doing a full reset of the zwave controller. I think I just removed the devices before and re-added them.

Thank you, just wanted to determine whether there may be incompatible devices throwing things off.

What firmware is your GC3 running? Have you updated to the latest?

I was thinking about doing a full reset of the zwave controller. I think I just removed the devices before and re-added them.

This would be a good thing to try, but it is a hail mary option. I would remove all devices, reset the controller, then re-add devices.

Yes the latest version from your firmware thread. I keep hoping each update will fix it… I just went to open my garage and I see this on the gc3… see pics…

Ill try that process and steps over the weekend… Possible i have a bad zwave controller on my gc3? Or more likely a bad zwave device? Or either is possible…

Possible i have a bad zwave controller on my gc3? Or more likely a bad zwave device? Or either is possible..

It is possible there is an error with the Z-wave radio/controller. I hesitate to assign blame when such a strange error is occurring. If you did not learn a new Z-wave device in there should be no extra devices showing up, and there shouldn’t be a node 0 garage door. Node 1 is the panel itself.

Let us know what you see after the reset and re-learn. Make sure all devices are accounted for and if you see any additional strange entries let us know.

What a pain in the neck but I think it worked. I forgot I had to rename all the devices on ADC as well and remap all my rules… But now, all my devices have concurrently numbered nodes, before they were all over the place. Also now, a network rediscovery is fast and a network check takes 10 seconds…Before it was several minutes. Ill report back in a week if this fixed my issue…

I did my closest kwikset (non plus) lock first as I didnt want to take it off the door and be 12 inches like book says… Worked fine from 15 or so feet… Did my second kwikset zway plus lock from like 35 feet… Did all linear switches next and then the garage door (plus) devices last… All seems normal at the moment…

Guys I appreciate the help even though I am not a client. When my plan expires with my current company, I will message you guys to discuss options. Thank you!

I did my closest kwikset (non plus) lock first as I didnt want to take it off the door and be 12 inches like book says.. Worked fine from 15 or so feet.. Did my second kwikset zway plus lock from like 35 feet..

If you do have any issues later, this should be the first thing addressed to make sure it is ruled out.

I know it does not seem to be a big deal but proximity during the learning of Z-wave locks is tremendously important and the locks can fail to pass secure network keys and experience other issues down the line. This is probably the number one cause of lock problems. Unless it is an NWI (network wide inclusion) device, always consider the proximity.

Guys I appreciate the help even though I am not a client. When my plan expires with my current company, I will message you guys to discuss options.

We are happy to help. Let us know if you have any questions!