GC3 Siren supervison reports Alert - none found?

MY EQUIPMENT:

• GC3 with f/w 3.1.3.6257
  • SP1 with f/w 3.1.3.6257 (Access Point mode by intention) and three Pad1-345 - all functioning properly
  • Honeywell Wave2PD Piezo-Dynamic Indoor Siren
  • 75 ft cable run between GC3 and siren, 22AWG 2-pair cable, 1-pair used (Red/Blk)
  • Siren cable attached to “Bell-” & “Bell+” on GC3 terminal contacts and “Gnd” & “#1” on siren terminal
  • 820 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor between “Gnd” & “#1” on siren terminal (contacts shared with Red/Blk siren able leads)

When I trigger the alarm from both Stay Alarmed and Away Alarmed, the siren performs as expected (really loud).

But, when I change the programming on [Q28] “Siren supervision time” from Disabled to 15 seconds, console reports “Alert Triggered: Console, Siren Supervision”.

My troubleshooting in sequence:
A. Powered down GC3 by disconnecting battery and unplugging transformer from wall outlet
…Test #1 - disconnected siren cable from GC3 and siren, then tested cable continuity (Red/Blk pair) - tested OK
B. Reconnected siren cable to GC3 and siren as originally described above
C. Next, powered up GC3 by reattaching battery and plugging transformer into wall outlet
…Test #2 - swapped polarity of siren cable pair at GC3; result - no change so returned siren cable to original polarity
…Test #3 - using voltmeter, tested voltage between siren terminal contacts “Gnd” & “#1” with resistor in-place between contacts; result is 23.5 volts - huh?
D. End of testing so I reinstalled GC3 and siren

Next confirmed that [Q28] remains at 15 seconds. After waiting beyond 15 seconds, same Alert reappers. I’m stumped; did I miss related programming questions or have I installed the cabling and siren incorrectly?
Thx!

When I trigger the alarm from both Stay Alarmed and Away Alarmed, the siren performs as expected (really loud).

But, when I change the programming on [Q28] “Siren supervision time” from Disabled to 15 seconds, console reports “Alert Triggered: Console, Siren Supervision”.

When you tested continuity, what was the resistance value on the cable? Can you test the resistance with one end twisted together?

OK, will do. I have now removed the siren cable from the GC3 and siren, and have twisted the Red/Blk pair together on one end. Using my cheapo Radio Shack ohmmeter, I have measured the resistance on the other end (touching the Red and Blk wires with the leads) to be 1.9 k-ohms. What are your thoughts on this?

If you connect the siren via a short test cable to the panel in the same fashion as you installed previously (only with like 3 feet of wire instead of 75) what is the result when enabling supervision and testing the siren?

Sorry for the delay in responding - had to go through the attic to pull down the siren from a high wall location. I have fashioned a 3 foot test cable and run the following tests. Where indicted - “with resistor” means that the resistor was spanned across the two siren terminal contacts:

TEST CASE #1: Alarm not active
With resistor: no alert after five minute wait
Without resistor: no alert after five minute wait

TEST CASE #2: Alarm STAY but not triggered
With resistor - no alert after five minute wait
Without resistor - no alert after five minute wait

TEST CASE #3: Alarm STAY, then triggered so siren wails
With resistor - no alert
Without resistor - no alert

This troubleshooting seems to indicate that my 75’ siren run is somehow compromised, even though the continuity tested OK and the siren functions. Any other thoughts before I give up on my existing 75’ siren cable run?

This troubleshooting seems to indicate that my 75′ siren run is somehow compromised, even though the continuity tested OK and the siren functions. Any other thoughts before I give up on my existing 75′ siren cable run?

I expected this result but wanted to be certain through testing.

The 75 foot cable would not be compromised exactly, it just likely has too high of resistance due to length and gauge. The manual does not state the exact value but the panel is going to be looking for resistance over a certain value to determine if the cable has been cut/tampered with.

1.9kohms seems to be over that threshold.

The shorter cable is not.

You could still use the 75 foot cable as is and leave supervision off, or you could try a larger gauge/shorter cable run if possible.

(or you could double up the conductors, but you stated it was only a 2-conductor cable)

Thx for staying with me on this lengthy troubleshoot. I appreciate and understand your evaluation of the problem. I don’t want to replace that siren cable run. It was a bear to run the cable through walls and the attic and without a wall outlet, z-wave is not an option at that location. So instead I’ll turn supervision off as you suggested to be an option. Enjoy your 4th of July!!!

My best to you!