GC3 Gone Crazy

I have a GC3 panel in a property which is currently being remodeled. Today the floors were stained. So there is nothing and no one in the house. The system has been left off through this process for obvious reasons. Tonight, the panel armed itself away and a malfunctioning motion detector (one of the painters had whacked it) tripped the alarm. Planning to bludgeon anyone who had broken in, armed the system and walked on the just stained floor, I went over and found no one there nor any sign of entry. However, the panel refused to accept any input. I had earlier tried to disarm the system through the app with no luck. Standing in front of the panel, I watched codes being mysteriously entered into the system, and a “code invalid” message come up repeatedly. I was not touching the panel at all. Eventually, the panel rebooted itself and began simply blinking without any screen image. Any idea what’s going on or what to do about it? Might the panel itself be bad or otherwise need to be replaced? Is the damn thing just haunted? Any thoughts appreciated.

Any idea what’s going on or what to do about it? Might the panel itself be bad or otherwise need to be replaced?

This sounds like a panel fault, almost as though the hardware was being taxed beyond capacity.

When you say the panel refused any input, did you try to enter codes?

I would presume that the panel did in fact register those inputs, and there was a delayed reaction due to malfunction. You would not see button press animations if not.

A couple questions to start:

Are you powering the panel with the included plug-in transformer? It is a 14vDC transformer.

If remodeling is being done, can you open up the GC3 and make sure that dust/paint/debris has not fallen into the GC3 housing? This is very likely an issue given the GC3 has open grates at the top.

When you say the panel refused any input, did you try to enter codes?
 Yes, repeatedly.
I would presume that the panel did in fact register those inputs, and there was a delayed reaction due to malfunction. You would not see button press animations if not.
 There was a constant button press animation going on, but it was independent of my attempts to input the codes or press clear.  In fact, it was already going on when I got there.  I could occasionally get a number or two in before it took over again.  The codes being input were apparently wrong as the code invalid response came up after every 4 inputs.
A couple questions to start:

Are you powering the panel with the included plug-in transformer? It is a 14vDC transformer.

No, but I understand something equivalent is used. An electrician did that install.

If remodeling is being done, can you open up the GC3 and make sure that dust/paint/debris has not fallen into the GC3 housing? This is very likely an issue given the GC3 has open grates at the top.

Possible, of course. The wood guys suggested that the stain fumes could have done something as they were very strong that evening.

FYI–I could not find how to open the panel. Could you point me to instructions.

FYI–I could not find how to open the panel. Could you point me to instructions.

The GC3 Panel opens from the bottom. There is a set screw underneath which must be loosened and then the panel can lift up and off the back-plate, swinging up from the bottom.

No, but I understand something equivalent is used. An electrician did that install.

It is very strongly recommended to never use any alternate power source for the panel. It is likely that the issue is a direct result of the remodeling, given the way it was described, but just to be certain we will want to verify what voltage is being supplied.

What would be the best way to clean out any fine dust, etc. that might have found its way into the unit?

It still just flashes and sets the siren off when powered up.

Aerosol air spray canisters are likely the best bet. You can find these at computer/electronics or office supply stores commonly. If there is dust and debris inside the unit, you’ll want to clear it out using the air spray.

If there was moisture inside the unit and any corrosion occurred, there would be little option other than replacement unfortunately.

The GC3 opens from the bottom, with a set screw in the bottom center of the panel housing.

Thank you, Jason.

Well, I am sure everyone has been waiting with baited breath to find out whether my problem was ever resolved. I know I have…and I’m still waiting.

As there was some ongoing painting after the floors were sanded and stained, I wrapped and taped the panel up as tight as possible and left it powered off until the work was done, which it now is.

I tried to crack the panel open to clean it today. Even with the set screw fully extended, the panel refused to be opened. Shy, perhaps. Eventually, it became clear to me that it would not open absent me breaking the shell. So,I used an air spray can to shoot air through the vents and the cell module opening in an attempt to clean it. A small amount of dust did come out. Afterwards, I powered the panel back up.

The result was much the same as before. It seemed to be trying to reboot, but unable to complete. In other words, I initially got a recognizable screen with a progress bar, then the screen went black, then screen flashing with ocassional flashes of the screen with uncompleted progress bar. Siren sounding the whole time. In short, no joy.

Is this panel toast or am I still doing something wrong?

In the event that I do need to replace the panel, should I reuse the existing cellsled? Will I need to reregister the system with Suretydiy or Alarm.com?

I tried to crack the panel open to clean it today. Even with the set screw fully extended, the panel refused to be opened.

The GC3 does close pretty securely, but you should be able to swing it up from the bottom as long as the fastener screw is not blocking it. Obviously I can’t say what is being experienced, so if there is any swelling on that particular panel it may be more difficult.

The result was much the same as before. It seemed to be trying to reboot, but unable to complete. In other words, I initially got a recognizable screen with a progress bar, then the screen went black, then screen flashing with ocassional flashes of the screen with uncompleted progress bar. Siren sounding the whole time. In short, no joy.

Is this panel toast or am I still doing something wrong?

It does not sound promising. I will guess that you will likely need replacement. How long did you leave it attempting to boot?

In the event that I do need to replace the panel, should I reuse the existing cellsled? Will I need to reregister the system with Suretydiy or Alarm.com?

As long as the cell sled is not damaged, you can simply power down the old panel, pull it from that panel, and install it in a new one. Your Alarm.com/suretyDIY would not change.

Jason–I let it run for about 10 minutes trying to re-boot. Tried again last night for a similar amount of time. Neighbors are loving me! Unless you think I am being foolish, I am ready to go ahead and replace it.

Given your description I would say it is probably necessary.