GC3: Garage Door Sensor

Looking to install a garage door sensor. I found that you do not recommend tilt sensors: RE206 Garage Tilt Sensor - Surety due to:

Tilt sensors do not activate until roughly 45 degrees off vertical. This means that the top panel of your overhead garage door must be tilted 45 degrees. Depending on the height and angle of the door’s wheel tracks, a common door may need to be open anywhere between 1 to 3 feet before the sensor trips. Due to the way the sensing element works, tilt sensors are known to cause false activation in inclement, windy weather, or from objects striking the garage door causing vibration.

with the proposed solution of:

A more reliable form of garage sensor that we recommend for any instance where you want your overhead garage door to be an alarm monitored zone would be a wired overhead garage door contact connected to the input terminals of a wireless sensor which can act as a transmitter. The 2GIG DW10 or RE201 have input terminals that can be used for this purpose.

Is there an an example of this setup you can share? I don’t understand what exactly is wired (where do wires go) and how are the door sensors (such as DW10) involved.

I don’t understand what exactly is wired (where do wires go) and how are the door sensors (such as DW10) involved.

The link in the quote above is the 4532L overhead door contact. This is a wired magnetic contact for the garage door.

In order to send a wireless signal to the alarm panel, a wireless transmitter must be used.

Some sensors, for example the DW10 and RE201, have wired inputs to monitor a wired zone.

You determine what function the panel listens for by programming. The DW10, for example, uses Loop 2 for its built in reed switch. For a wired input it uses the same serial number, but Loop 1.

The DW10 comes with a small length of wire with a connector which snaps into the DW10. The RE201 takes bare wire inserted into screw-down terminals. This video shows an example of using the wired input of the DW10 with a shock sensor as an example.

This thread shows an example with a couple photos.

1. What is the power source for “4532L overhead door contact”? does it have an internal battery or it uses DW10’s battery? I don’t see it being plugged in anywhere besides the DW10 from the pictures above.

2. In the picture:

4532L sensor

is this white horizontal rail (left side of the picture) the top of the garage door?

1. In programming DW10, it mentions an “installer code”, would my “root” code work as an “installer code”?

2. From all the info so far I understand that I would

4.1 buy 4532L, and DW10

4.2 program DW10

4.3 connect 4532L wire to the DW10

4.4 mount 4532L on top of the garage door: the part without the wire mounted directly to the door, the part with the wire (reed switch?) mounted to the wall.

4.5 Is this correct?

What is the power source for “4532L overhead door contact”? does it have an internal battery or it uses DW10’s battery?

A wired door contact has and needs no power source. It is only a wire circuit with a magnetic switch.

The DW10 monitors the circuit and when the magnet is moved away from the switch, the circuit opens, triggering the DW10 to report to the panel.

is this white horizontal rail (left side of the picture) the top of the garage door?

Would need to be to function. The magnet is mounted on the structure you describe (if I understood correctly) so it would be the top of the door moving up past the sensor when it opens. The sensor is often floor mounted or wall mounted. The magnet simply needs to line up with the sensor when closed. Always install sensors based on the included manufacturer instructions.

3. In programming DW10, it mentions an “installer code”, would my “root” code work as an “installer code”?

I’m not sure what you mean by “root” code as I’ve never seen any 2GIG or other panel documents refer to it as such. The installer code will be a 4 digit code used to access system configuration. If you need assistance with your installer code, please let our team know via a secure message here and they can send a command to set it to the default panel value (1561)

4.4 mount 4532L on top of the garage door: the part without the wire mounted directly to the door, the part with the wire (reed switch?) mounted to the wall.

4.5 Is this correct?

The part without the wire = the magnet. Yes, the magnet would be mounted to the door itself. The sensor (reed switch portion with attached wires) should be mounted to a non-moving surface. The magnet should be mounted on the door so that when the door is closed the magnet aligns with the reed switch.

The DW10 is just mounted to the wall at the end of the wires.

If your garage would possibly experience sustained sub freezing temps it is probably better to go with the RE201. It has a lower low-end operating temp threshold. DW10 is 32 degrees. RE201 is 0 degrees.

The installer code will be a 4 digit code used to access system configuration

yep, that is what I meant by the “root” (i.e. main user).

great, thanks Jason. All is clear.

yep, that is what I meant by the “root” (i.e. main user).

For clarity, there is a difference between the Installer Code and the Master User Code.

The installer code cannot be used to arm/disarm the system. And the Master Code cannot be used to enter system config. Just want to be sure you do not mean user #1, that would be master code, not installer.

right, I have “the main code” that allows me to get in to sys config.
and the “master user code” that allows me to manage “alarm.com” config.

“the main code” is probably the “installer code”.