GC2 End of life ?? How long is equipment typically supported?

We have only been with SuretDIY for a short time (about 6 months), and have so far been happy with the service. We are now looking to make some changes to our system to include several more Automation devices and utilizing more of the features. The question is, is there any expected “End Of Life” or time period for the GC2? I don’t want to invest a ton of money into the system we are currently using if we will need to purchase more current or new equipment in the near future. The GC2 panel has been out for some time now and I was wanting to know how long it will be supported.

There’s no announced end of life on the GC2 that I am aware.

Typically a manufacturer is not going to make a commitment to a long time-frame regarding future support since anything can happen, but the GC2 was never being replaced by the GC3. Both are considered current, tiered options.

Considering that just recently new firmware was released to support updated models of LTE module and add new features, I wouldn’t personally expect EOL very soon.

Z-wave automation devices used by the panels are in no way proprietary and work with a huge ecosystem of controllers, and non-encrypted wireless security sensors have options with regard to being reused with other alarm system models without significant investment, like a wireless translator.

Revisiting … I’m am about to make some changes and upgrades to our current system. I wanted to revisit this End of Life / Support for the GoControl 2 before I dump more money into the system. Has there been any announced official/unofficial for the support of the GC2?

Yes, they did discontinue the standard GC2 in 2020. The GC2e is still receiving ongoing development but the GC2 has been discontinued.

This doesn’t mean the panel needs to be immediately replaced, the LTE modules are expected to be supported through 2030-ish. As long as the system continues working it can be used, but if you are looking to add components or upgrade elements it is likely a good idea to consider upgrading at the same time.

We still recommend the IQ Panel 2+ as the best option. The 345 Mhz version is compatible with existing 2GIG security sensors. 2GIG also just released their new panel, the Edge, which replaces the GC3.