GC2 and Smartthings v2

I decided to start a new thread dedicated to the GC2 and Smartthings. I’ll start out with the first question. Can y’all confirm that GC2 and ST are now working. I can add ST as a primary controller and add all my alarm.com zwave devices (locks, lights, etc)

Thanks

From discussion with other forum users, it looks like 1.14.01 firmware is needed but yes, it is reported that this integration is possible.

It sounds like unlike Vera, STV2 needs to manually update the GC2 when additional devices are added later, so best to add all devices first and then pair STV2 and GC2.

So it’s possible to control devices on smart things from gc2 as well control from alarm.com? What is the benefit of this? I’m wondering if this will resolve my issue with the dual endpoint module I’m trying to get working. The vendor who made it has integration documentation for ST.

I’m wondering if this will resolve my issue with the dual endpoint module I’m trying to get working.

It will not make the 2GIG panel or Alarm.com compatible with the dual device, but it will likely give you control of it through ST.

2GIG and ADC can only be compatible with devices whose command classes are supported by the 2GIG controller.

But, integrating an alternate primary controller is often used to include additional non-standard or unsupported Z-wave devices into a network, and still having ADC control over the rest.

So if I could get both nodes to work on ST wouldn’t that be past to gc2 when it’s paired? From what I have seen and read it appears that it will show as 2 different switches. I’m wondering this to see if it’s worthwhile to pursue trying out. Has anyone tried this?

So if I could get both nodes to work on ST wouldn’t that be past to gc2 when it’s paired?

Hmm, I cannot say with any certainty as we have not worked with that device, but it may be possible if two individual node IDs are populated in ST.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but have some questions. I have the GC2 with an adc subscription through protection 1. I would like to add a smart things hub primarily for the widgets and being able to turn on or off a single light from a widget, etc… I also would like to wall mount a couple of android tablets and on the home screen use the widgets from smart things and from ADC. So for example on the home screen of the tablet I could have all my guest bedroom lights and the scene widiets from ADC for arming disarming etc.

Would I be able to do what I want? Basically if I add devices to smart things and setup the GC2 ad a secondary controller will I still be able to access the devices on ADC for rules/scenes/etc?

Thanks

If I am reading your question correctly yes. I am setup that way. ADC as secondary to ST. the only tricky thing I found is adding new zwave devices and having them show up on 2gig… I have lights, doors, and my thermostat on ST and they can be controlled by 2GIG scenes also as well smart scripts in ST. I also run zigbee via ST for automation. You can’t control zigbee from 2gig however from what I have found. Hope that helps. Happy automation!

Brian

Awesome thanks! IF you don’t mind what’s the trick with adding new devices? I ordered a Kindle fire tablet and am going to root it and make a recess mount to install it in my wall, if it goes smoothly then I plan to do that in every bedroom.

You have to break the connection between 2gig and ST. Once completed you must reset the zwave on 2gig then pair again. This takes forever as things are being propogated to 2gig. I had to do this the other day when I added a light switch in my sons room.

B

Gotcha - so ideally speaking I should do it all at once as I’ll have to anyway. So do you still only pair the devices with the ST and then do a network rediscovery?

No network discovery. You tell ST to add a new device and then tell 2GIG to learn controller. Thats it… Once that is done it will pull over everything from ST. Once everything is in the ADC portal you will need to name them accordingly so you know which is which. This information isnt pulled from ST.

brian

I’ve had my STv2 sitting in it’s box unopened since April and I finally have time to work on setting it up as a primary controller. I am at a loss as to how to set it up properly with my GC2. I am not sure if I have to remove all of the devices from my GC2 then add them to ST and then pair it with back to the GC2. Or can I just tell Smarthings to be primary and all devices will auto discover on the ST. Help!!! Will someone please provide steps on how to do this?

Thanks

General instructions for adding 2GIG as a secondary controller can be found here. The instructions are specific to Vera, but the general steps are the same.

Yes, you would want to learn all devices individually into ST first, then pair the 2GIG panel as a secondary controller. The primary controller then shares its node info and Alarm.com will see whatever compatible devices were shared.

Ok, just making sure I have it right after reading the thread. I remove all my Zwave devices from GC panel then repair them with the ST hub. After that is complete I add the GC2 as a secondary controller correct? Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks again!

Ok, just making sure I have it right after reading the thread. I remove all my Zwave devices from GC panel then repair them with the ST hub. After that is complete I add the GC2 as a secondary controller correct? Anything I need to look out for?

That’s it.

Allow 30 minutes or so to make sure ADC gets all the devices attached after learning 2GIG as secondary. Try not to make any edits during that time. After confirming all devices are showing in Alarm.com, you can go ahead and create automation rules as normal.

I have the 2gig GC3/Alarm.com(ADC) and SmartThings(ST) hub. Everything is working great except the thermostat no longer working in GC3. It does work in ST so that is ok for now. I understand an upcoming GC3 update might help with that.

1st question: Is there any way to trigger a ST scene from GC3/ADC? I have an ADC rule that turns on all the zwave lights when there is alarm. But I also have zigbee lights connected to ST (which ADC cannot see). So it would be great if GC3/ADC could trigger an ST scene which would know of all the devices, zwave or zigbee. A primary reason for this request is ST scene can force lights to 100%, I don’t see where to set this in ADC>

2nd question: I initially learned my GC3 to the ST and everything showed up as expected. Many in this forum say to add new zwave, have to add to ST first, the relearn. I didn’t know that and have been added to GC3, which instantly shows up in ST. Why would that work for me but not others (not that I’m complaining!)?

Thanks in advance!!

I didn’t know that and have been added to GC3, which instantly shows up in ST. Why would that work for me but not others (not that I’m complaining!)?

Going to have to test this myself. Can you show us a photo of your 2GIG devices list that shows the ST controller under View All Devices?

Is there any way to trigger a ST scene from GC3/ADC? I have an ADC rule that turns on all the zwave lights when there is alarm.

There is no way to directly influence a non-Alarm.com compatible system no. You may be able to do something like add a relay in that ST can monitor and Alarm.com can control. I am not 100% positive it is compatible on the GC3 (it works on GC2) but the mimolite is a Z-wave switch relay and sensor. Only the relay portion works with ADC, but you may be able to have ST turn on certain devices based on the state of the sensor portion?

Can ST change the state of one switch based on input from a sensor?

Is there any way to trigger a ST scene from GC3/ADC? I have an ADC rule that turns on all the zwave lights when there is alarm.

You can configure ADC to send emails on arm/disarm/alarm events, then have other ecosystems trigger on email rules. It’s NOT ideal as it can have a latency of up to 10 minutes, but best we have for now.