GC2 4G upgrade radio strength

I recently upgraded my Verizon 3g module to the Verizon 4g LTE module. I installed the 2 LTE antennas, but had to put them both in the wall (the instructions show to install one on the side, but my GC2 would not fit the antenna in the original CDMA antenna slot). I completed the cell phone test and the system is functioning; however, I have noticed a few things after the upgrade.

1. The radio signal was original bouncing between 13/0/22 in the hour after upgrading, before finally settling around 14. I did notice that the connection status will also go between “connected/idle/attempting to connect”.
  2. When I check the radio status, even with a signal of 14, it is sometimes yellow and sometimes green.
  3. Sensor status via ADC (website and Android app) seems to be extremely laggy with the new 4g module. I can open an exit/entry wired sensor and it will take up 30 seconds before showing as an active sensor (if it even shows up at all). With the 3g module, it was 1-2 seconds.
  4. Arming/disarming via the ADC Android app usually happens very fast within 1-3 seconds, with an occasional 5-10 second delay.

I have reset the module (full power down, unseat, reset, power up) and verified the new 4g LTE antenna are fully plugged in. I still see the same symptoms as above.

My questions are below:

1. What does the yellow status in the “radio signal” mean?
  2. What is an acceptable radio status level (I think I have seen anywhere above 7)?
  3. Is this basically a symptom of poor 4g signal in the house?
  4. Is there a method to measure the latency between the GC2 and ADC?

I’m assuming that if the signal isn’t stable at levels 13/14, then this is the direct cause of the latency issues between activating a sensor (eg opening a door) and reporting via ADC.

Thanks.

Happy to assist!

installed the 2 LTE antennas, but had to put them both in the wall (the instructions show to install one on the side, but my GC2 would not fit the antenna in the original CDMA antenna slot)

This is fine. So long as the 2 antenna are not in the wall touching one another, or touching any wires/metal in the wall. You will want to check to see if this is the case as this can cause poor signaling.

1. What does the yellow status in the “radio signal” mean?
  2. What is an acceptable radio status level (I think I have seen anywhere above 7)?

Signal rating at the panel is rated from 1 to 31, 31 being the best possible. A sustained internal signal level of 9 is the recommended minimum. 14 is roughly halfway so seeing if fluctuate yellow/green at that value could be expected.

I’m assuming that if the signal isn’t stable at levels 13/14, then this is the direct cause of the latency issues between activating a sensor (eg opening a door) and reporting via ADC.

I’m seeing middle of the road signaling with high registration times which would explain the latency issues you are seeing.

To troubleshoot, completely power down the panel. Disarm it, unplug the power supply, unplug the internal battery. Remove the module.

Then re-install the module, making sure it is seated firmly and that both antenna are connected. With the antenna in the wall, make sure they are not touching one another, or any metal/wires inside the wall, mounting one vertically and one horizontally in the wall so they do not dangle may help.

Leave the whole panel powered down for at least two minutes. Then power the panel back up, battery first then power supply. Wait at least ten minutes before testing signal strength. Any Change?

I followed the troubleshooting steps and I also relocated the GC2 to a location with better signal. I am now seeing a steady signal strength of 19/31; however, I did not find that it helped much with the latency . Also, while watching the “Radio Status” page, I did notice an interesting pattern with the radio. All times listed below are approximate from the start of the cycle. Each timestamp will be marked as T#.

T1: Radio signal went from 19/31 to 0/31 for ~10 seconds
T2: Radio signal went from 0/31 to 19/31 for ~50 seconds
T3: Radio signal went from 19/31 to 0/31 for ~10 seconds
T4: Radio signal went from 0/31 to 19/31 for ~1 min 50 seconds
T5: Radio signal went from 19/31 to 0/31 for ~10 seconds
T6: Radio signal went from 0/31 to 19/31 for ~50 seconds
T7: Radio signal went from 19/31 to 0/31 for ~10 seconds
T8: Radio signal went from 0/31 to 19/31 for ~1 min 50 seconds

This pattern of 50 seconds on, 10 seconds off, 1 min 50 seconds on, 10 seconds off seemed to repeat itself during 3 or 4 different periods when I was monitoring this.

Also, the “connection status” would fluctuate between “connected, idle” during this time.

With a signal strength of 19/31 would it be expected that it is having issues initiating and maintaining a connection, or could this be a symptom of a bad 4G LTE module that is in an odd reboot loop.

I have a 5 minute video of this if you would like to view what I’m trying to explain.

Thank you for that information.

Also, the “connection status” would fluctuate between “connected, idle” during this time.

This would be normal behavior. However, seeing the signal fluctuate from 19/31 to 0/31 and back again is not normal behavior. If it were a couple points here or there, it wouldn’t be cause for concern but 0-19 is not normal and is likely why you are seeing such latency.

Currently your signal strength is 20/31 and pings to the module are successful but with such wild fluctuation, I would recommend warranty replacement.

First, do you still have the 3G module? We should be able to switch you back to that in the interim. The module will need to be disassociated from your Alarm.com account in order to get the warranty process started.

We will also need the Serial Number from the 4G LTE module (not the IMEI). This number is located on a sticker on the module, the panel will need to be fully powered down to identify the number. You can send us the Serial Number via Private Message.