GC Getting Started Questions

Hello! After swapping in the new communications card, I’ve been trying to update the firmware on my panel from 1.16 to 1.19, but have been unsuccessful. I suspect I have a GC1 instead of a GC2.

Questions:

1. How can I confirm which panel I have? The serial number in the Toolbox is only 8 digits.

2. If I do have just the GC1, can I activate it with Surety after swapping the communications card? Next steps?

3. Assuming I DO have a GC1 and I CAN activate it, I’m considering upgrading to a GC3e in short order. I also have a TS1. Is the TS1 compatible with the GC3e?

4. If the TS1 is NOT compatible? Is there a comparable auxiliary panel? Can a second GC3e serve as an auxiliary panel?

Thank you!

After swapping in the new communications card, I’ve been trying to update the firmware on my panel from 1.16 to 1.19, but have been unsuccessful.

What are you doing to update firmware?

1. How can I confirm which panel I have? The serial number in the Toolbox is only 8 digits. 1. If I do have just the GC1, can I activate it with Surety after swapping the communications card? Next steps?
    The Go!Control and GC2 are pretty similar but you can submit a picture here. Both would be compatible however.
  1. Assuming I DO have a GC1 and I CAN activate it, I’m considering upgrading to a GC3e in short order. I also have a TS1. Is the TS1 compatible with the GC3e?

TS1 is not compatible with the GC3e, the GC3e is also discontinued by the manufacturer. Only the GC2e and Edge panels are still in production from 2GIG. All 2GIG touchscreen secondary panel compatible with the GC3e are also discontinued.

Hi! To update the firmware I am

1. Powering down
  2. Opening the file on my computer
  3. Plugging the computer into the alarm panel
  4. Powering up
  5. Waiting for the confirmation on the computer to begin

I’m not getting past Step 4.

Should my TS1 be plugged into the wall for this to be successful?
On the GC3e, I found someone selling some used ones. Photo of my current panel attached. Worth the upgrade?

Disarm the system and fully power down (power supply from the wall, then open panel and disconnect internal battery)

Then follow the steps in the below video to update your firmware using the 2GIG USB Firmware Update cable and PC.

The panel in the image is the GC2.

The TS1 is updated separately.

You can find written instructions for updating here as well.

On the GC3e, I found someone selling some used ones. Photo of my current panel attached. Worth the upgrade?

Only if you want to use eSeries sensors and have access to dual-path communication.

Youll still need a different 4G LTE cellular module (unregistered) and the TS1 is not compatible.

That’s what I’ve been doing to update the firmware, with this caveat: I don’t have a wall plug. To power down the system I’ve been removing the red wire from the 1 location in the greenish panel inside (although it appears from this photo that the last time I did it without my glasses and put the red wire in the incorrect spot), and disconnecting the backup battery:

hat’s what I’ve been doing to update the firmware, with this caveat: I don’t have a wall plug. To power down the system I’ve been removing the red wire from the 1 location in the greenish panel inside (although it appears from this photo that the last time I did it without my glasses and put the red wire in the incorrect spot), and disconnecting the backup battery

Never remove the wire leads from the internal terminal block without first disconnecting the panels power from the wall outlet.

Removing leads from the terminal block with power still connected, or powering up the system with the power leads in the wrong spots can cause damage to the panel.

All GC2 panels should be powered via power supply connected to the wall outlet. It looks like this

How is your system powered?

:

Nope. No wall wart. I’m was a bit confused, and removing the lead from the terminal block was my best solution.

Here’s a zoomed-out photo of the wall. If it helps to explain, the 2gig panel was installed by a previous alarm company, and replaced an old DSC panel.

Typically the power cable runs from the panel to the power supply. It is likely near the old panel, possibly in the basement or attic, sometimes a closet.

I hear what you saying, and I WILL look again, BUT - looking at the inside of the alarm panel, there’s no additional wires coming in. If there was a power supply plugged in somewhere, it’d still have to come into the panel somewhere.

I don’t work for Surety but might be able to help.

The power supply is located at the other end of the wire that’s powering your panel (the same wire you mentioned hooking up incorrectly). In other words, you have an electrical outlet somewhere in your house and the power supply is receiving power at that location. The electrical outlet could be anywhere in the house but is often located in a basement, attic, or closet.

This is my main panel and it lives in an 80% unfinished basement. As far as I can tell, it gets power from a takeover module that lives in the house’s original security box. Since the basement is unfinished, there’s literally no place for a wall wart to hide.

I actually have access to the other side f the wall it’s on. The ONLY wire coming into the panel is the one that had to power the original dsc panel, which I think goes to the original security box. Will get a photo of that this morning.

Looked again on my way out to take my kids to school.

Sigh. It was hiding. I’ve been in house almost 10 years, and I’ve never seen that outlet.

OKAY!

I managed to get the firmware on the main panel updated, and the TS1 was already on v1.16, so I think I’m good there.

If I understand correctly, the next step is to perform a cell phone test, but I don’t see that option on the main panel. Just “telephone test”.

I have put my IMEI into my account here on the site. What next?

If you do not see the Cellphone test option that means the panel cannot tell a module is attached. Which firmware version did you apply? We have noticed within the last few days that new modules shipped by 2GIG are requiring 1.19.4 firmware due to hardware updates.

The version requirement is written on the module box. Try updating to 1.19.4.

Ah. Yes. The box details 1.19.4, and my firmware update installed 1.19.3.1.

Now I have my next step!

I’m interested in hearing how it goes. Let us know.

The firmware upgrade to 1.19.4 went fine. Cell phone test completed. I’m all set!

I’m a pro at flashing GC2s now. If anyone is in Atlanta and needs one done, I work for bourbon!

Only remaining item I don’t have is the installer code. Can’t that be reset remotely by Surety? Although I don’t have it, I’m not really sure I actually need it.

Now that you’re all set up with Surety they will be able to remotely reset your installer code. I’m sure they are gone for the day but if you ask Jason to do it I bet it’s done tomorrow.

Nicely done on transferring the panel!

I just did something similar for my parents but I was able to reuse the existing cell module so mine was easier than yours.

I have been a customer of Surety for years and they are fantastic.

With active service with Surety you can reset the installer code of your GC2 panel remotely within our system manager here at any time.

2 Likes