Garage Doors & IQ-2

I just installed the Chamberlain Smart Garage Control & Wireless Garage Hub and sensors on my two garage doors and successfully integrated it with Alarm.com and my IQ panel. It works great if I control a single door at a time, however if I create a scene that asks for both doors to open or both doors to close, only the first door responds. This is true for scenes on the app as well as on the website. Also this is true for the CLOSE ALL / OPEN ALL buttons on the panel. Did I do something wrong or is my second command always getting lost?

I was careful when programing the doors to ensure that the first door sensor chirped one time and the second door sensor chirped twice when doing the programing. Was this a mistake?

Thanks,
-PH

This is a rare but known ongoing issue which can occur on the MyQ universal hubs, which appears to be a bug in the hub itself, as it has been reported to happen when directly using MyQ. See the thread below for related troubleshooting steps.

Wow ! That exchange was back in 2021 and the issue still exists? That doesn’t seem right.

I would love to get to the bottom of it. I don’t think it’s a local issue related to my sensors, Garage Hub or even my app vs. IQ Panel vs. Alarm.Com website. I’m guessing two commands get issued to the hub; one for each door to open/close. I seriously think the second command isn’t getting to the Hub - or maybe the hub stops listening for some brief period of time after the first command arrives and it’s sending the signal to the first garage door opener.

Can you confirm if 1 command is being sent to the hub from the various Alarm.com or Panel interfaces?

-PH

Can you confirm if 1 command is being sent to the hub from the various Alarm.com or Panel interfaces?

I am not seeing a Surety subscription related to this username. If you use Surety as your service provider, send us a private message with the primary user name and address.

If you use a different Alarm.com provider, I would recommend double checking with them to verify what commands are being sent in your history and be sure no other issue exists.

In general though, yes I think two independent commands go to the hub. When we’ve seen the error occur it looks like the hub only processes one of them.

The same issue does not affect other MyQ gateways, like the 828LM, based on the information we have from ADC. It seems to be relevant specifically to the hub and likely caused by its firmware.

What model/version of the hub do you have?

Thanks for your help.
I’m using the CHAMBERLAIN Smart Garage Control - Wireless Garage Hub and Sensor with Wifi & Bluetooth - Smartphone Controlled, myQ-G0401-ES, White
Thanks again,
-PH

PS: I just moved my WiFi access point very close to the Garage Hub, to eliminate wifi-distance from the possible problems.
Thanks again,
-PH

Just as another data point, if you remove the hub from ADC and link it directly to MyQ app, do you see the same when controlling doors simultaneously?

I have an IQ panel and Alarm.com monitoring; not sure if that is really ADC or not. However, I don’t recall seeing an “open all” button when I was using the MyQ app. I have sent individual commands seconds apart via the Alarm.com app and they work fine. I assume I’d have to call my alarm co to get it un-registered from Alarm.com to try it on MyQ again. Shame that functionality isn’t exposed from Alarm.com to us DIY’ers.

I was also wondering if there is a later version of firmware for the MyQ Hub, alas I think I read the functionality to do an update is only available via the MyQ app too. True?

Along those lines I owe you both a huge thank-you for your help, as well as an apology, since I didn’t realize this message board wasn’t an open forum. I did call my alarm co and since it’s a supported product, they will roll a truck and send a tech to help me debug it free of charge. I was willing to do it over the phone, but I guess they feel its a better use of time to have a tech onsite. Anyway, it will only cost me time, since they won’t send someone till next week.

I’ll still accept any tips and tricks while I’m waiting… but it starting to get awful cold in the garage tinkering with this thing.

Thanks again,
-PH

It is an open forum. You’re welcome to post.

IMG_2894

No worries, our forum is open for anyone to post, we’re happy to try to help and other users may have run into similar situations.

If you use a different service provider there are certain details we cannot see or help with, in which case we have to recommend reaching out to your provider. They will have dealer level tools and history access which can help troubleshoot.

I was also wondering if there is a later version of firmware for the MyQ Hub, alas I think I read the functionality to do an update is only available via the MyQ app too. True?

I’m not sure that firmware updates would be available for the hub, but if so that functionality is not in Alarm.com and would be MyQ app specific. I’m seeing some Chamberlain articles referencing firmware for MyQ cameras, and for a specific door opener line, but I am not seeing any articles specific to updating firmware on a MyQ hub.

I assume I’d have to call my alarm co to get it un-registered from Alarm.com to try it on MyQ again. Shame that functionality isn’t exposed from Alarm.com to us DIY’ers.

You are right, your Alarm.com dealer would need to remove your MyQ Hub from your Alarm.com account before it can be registered in the MyQ app directly if you plan to try that.

I’ve made this comment to ADC quite a few times. (ADC = Alarm.com)

====================================================
12/04/23 @ 2:41PM EST…

I did see that someone suggested unplugging the door not being programed, so I just did that - and still have the same symptoms - commanding door-2 on the app or website causes both doors to change their current state.

Besides possibly clearing the entire door memory - and programing all the remotes - I’m stumped. Read on…

I had some time to play but I’m’ still having issues…

I called the alarm company and they removed the hub from my account. Then I did a factory reset and even did a door-1 and door-2 reset and powered the hub off and on again. So I’m pretty sure I’m starting with a clean slate.

Both doors are LiftMasters with Purple buttons.

Door-1 reliably programs and the can be controlled by the ADC app & website. The only potential issue is that when programing concludes (either door), I’m told: “We are still awaiting confirmation from your system that your remote command has taken effect.” BUT: I can still control Door-1.

Door-2 “appears” to program as well and generates that same “waiting confirmation” message.

The rub is that anytime I send a command (open or close) to door-2, it now goes to BOTH doors. So if Door-1 is closed and Door-2 is opened, pressing close on Door-2 flips the state, and I still end up with one open door and one closed door !

Ugh.

Also, just to be clear, I’m using the WHITE hub/controller even though the picture on the ADC site for adding garage doors shows the BLACK controller. AND I’m using that same path in the programming of the Doors - that is, I’m adding a “Device” to my “Controller”. Good?

I did repeat the procedure by clearing the Door-1 and Door-2 memory and waiting until the garage door light went out on Door-1 before re-programing Door-2, but the same issue prevails. Door-2 buttons want to send commands to both doors.

Please tell me there is an easy fix to this one, or I’m missing some step along the way. I have done the entire process withOUT using the MyQ app - I found the trick where (after a factory reset) I can surf to the hub and give it my WiFi credentials. So I’m learning !

Any ideas?
-PH

Besides possibly clearing the entire door memory - and programing all the remotes - I’m stumped. Read on…

That would be necessary if you have both overheads responding to garage 2 on the MyQ. The MyQ universal overhead acts the same as a visor or fob button. The two ‘doors’ on the hub are paired to the overhead so that whenever the overhead receives a signal from that button it changes state. If both overheads are listening to door 2 that means both overheads have that ‘button’ programmed.

Reset the overheads and reprogram. Leave one of them powered off while you pair the other door and then vice versa to be sure.

I erased the memory in both door openers and then added the MyQ. I also had to re-program all my remotes - but “it is what it is”. This did solve the both-doors-open-when-requesting-door-2-only. So now if I push “Open Door 1” or “Open Door 2” it opens on the app and panel. Individual “Close” commands also work flawlessly.

What doesn’t work is the “Open All” button on the IQpanel and any scenes I create. I do see some leds dance on the back of opener 2, but the door doesn’t move. I’m really stumped over this. I’d like to script my “Good Night” scene to send “close both doors” but at this point I can’t just run that and assume both doors are down.

Ideas?
-PH

What doesn’t work is the “Open All” button on the IQpanel and any scenes I create.

Correct. This is a known limitation which can occur with the Hub, specifically.

Given that it has been a longstanding issue the underlying cause is probably in the hub software.

Thanks for the confirmation. I assume from earlier in the thread that there isn’t a mechanism for flashing/upgrading the s/w in the hub.

Also - do you know of a contact I can report this to at MyQ?

-PH

There is no way to update Hub firmware through Alarm.com. If MyQ offers one it would be through the MyQ app. I do not see any instructions or reference to Hub firmware updates though.

I do not have any specific contact to share. Check the chamberlain website here for support contact details.

Great News ! I picked up another hub for my second door. It’s one of the older (black) models but I have it on good authority that the white door sensors should work with the black unit.

Question: Right now I have both Garage-Door-1 and Garage-Door-2 connected to my white MyQ hub. Will my alarm company be able to remove Garage-Door-2 ONLY from my ADC account? IF so, then I’ll add the second Hub and then attach Garage-Door-2 to the second Hub in ADC. Otherwise if they can only remove the hub, I guess I’m starting all over again.
Thoughts?
-PH

Doors can be removed individually. That’s a good test using a second hub for the second door. Mind letting us know if that resolves the issue sending simultaneous commands?

Will Do !!!
Thanks,
-PH

I wish I had better news. Although I did all the tricks when setting up the newly acquired older (black) MyQ (unplugging the first MyQ & door-1’s opener), it’s still hit & miss with the “Open All” functionality. This is true for the IQ-2 Panel as well as the ADC App. Any time I issue a command to both doors only door-1 responds. I’m going to chalk this up to some flawed functionality between ADC and MyQ. Either the second command is getting lost in the ether or two MyQ’s are sending simultaneous messages and the RF is getting scrambled. The openers are a bit dated, but I was hopeful.

When adding a door - either door - I consistently receive a message from ADC that it didn’t get the confirmation that the command completed. Sorry I don’t have the exact wording. I seem to recall NOT receiving this message earlier, though. Not sure what changed.

I’ve banged my head against the wall (er, door?) for long enough on this one. Pass along any tips or suggestions.

-PH