Garage Door/Liftmaster Gateway offline/online messages

For years, my Arm Stay command has been set to turn off the power to my LiftMaster garage door. That garage door is plugged in to a GE Z Wave outdoor switch, so it goes off when I turn that off.

Over the last three or four days, I’ve started to receive emails and push messages saying that my Liftmaster Gateway and Garage Door are offline after I arm stay. I realize this makes sense…cut the power to the automation device and you’ll get notified it’s offline. But I’ve never received these messages before.

Wondering what may have changed to have these offline (and later, after disarm, the online) messages start to be generated.

Trying to think of a way to cut the power to my garage door while I’m home and armed stay and not get the email and push messages.

Also now that I get two messages, one for the Liftmaster Gateway and one for Garage Door, wondering if I have it set up correctly. I have these two as Automation Devices, the LiftMaster showing as Gateway and the Garage Door as Garage Door.

Sounds like the sensitivity for supervision of that device may have been improved. Yes, it would be expected, depending on how long it loses power, for an offline malfunction to occur if you cut power to the overhead.

Looking at the history these notifications are generated by the System Actions to Watch notification rule. You could eliminate malfunction notifications from that rule, but it would cover all device.

Also now that I get two messages, one for the Liftmaster Gateway and one for Garage Door, wondering if I have it set up correctly. I have these two as Automation Devices, the LiftMaster showing as Gateway and the Garage Door as Garage Door.

That’s normal, the Gateway is the portion connected to the internet, the overhead or universal hub, and the door itself is separated because the door and gateway can have status malfunctions independently. In this case your MyQ devices stop communicating all at once and malfunction occurs.

Thanks. When I started receiving the messages a few days ago I thought, yea, I guess it makes sense to report the device going offline. It was just strange that I never received them before but your explanation about an improved sensitivity for the device makes sense.

As you mentioned, a change to the system actions notification would apply to everything, so I’m not going to change there. I will probably just remove the rule that turns off the device when the system is armed stay. The opener uses rolling codes and I don’t really have any concern about it opening unexpectedly overnight so probably no reason to cut the power.