Freezer Alarm

Hi,
I purchased a Honeywell 5821 Temp sensor and the T280R probe to mount in my freezer. I tried watching your video of installing the other temp sensor, but it was very fast and the freezer fail (temp above 10degrees) was not on there. Can you walk me through the steps and options I need to Select? I added it (probably incorrectly as a flood sensor) and on the alarm.com page, it says active monitoring is N/A. Therefore, I cannot get it to send me a text if the temp goes above 10degrees. Thank you,

Shawn

The 5821 with probe is not the same device as an RE219, so you would want to install per manufacturer instructions.

If installed as an aux alarm of any kind, you will not be able to set up activity monitoring for it because activity monitoring does not apply to sensors which have only a binary state of “in alarm” or not. (Smoke detectors, CO, Flood, Temp, Panic, etc.)

You would just use Alarm notifications on Alarm.com rather than sensor activity because any time the sensor trips it will generate an aux alarm, sending a signal code based on its programming, regardless of arming state.

See attached image from manual.

To use the Freezer failure function:

Set dip switch 1 to off and 2 to on.

Learn the Zone as “24 Hour Aux” (08)
Select equipment type as Temperature (10)
Equipment code (0624)
learn in serial
Loop 2

The rest is based on your preference, but Reports need to be Enabled or signals will not be sent to ADC.

Thank you for the reply. It looks like I had set it up correctly. I set up the notification for the alarm instead of as a sensor and hopefully that does the trick. I pulled the probe out of the freezer last night and didn’t see any type of event or alarm. I’ll give it a try now to test it. Any idea how long it should take once I pull the prob out? Thanks again!

For the freezer failure function, the sensor must register the temp above 10 for more than 30 minutes.

The requirements for the functions are listed in the chart in the manual (where the above image was taken) under the “Faults when…” column.

Sorry for that… I just saw it after I replied. I don’t know why I missed that before.

Not a problem! There are a lot of options for that sensor, so the chart is a bit dense, but in case you want to use additional or different functions Honeywell does a good job of laying out all the options.

I know this is kinda old, but after installing this sensor, I have had a couple false alarms. The alarm panel will continue to alarm and the monitoring station calls. Is there a way to program this so the monitoring station does not call? Also to get a silent notification instead of the alarm panel continuing to alarm? This sure isn’t fun at 2am. I could swear I tried programming this with REPORTS as Disabled and they still called? I am using this to have a heads up that something is wrong with our freezer and figured it would buy us several hours if it really did fail.

Have you set the Freeze sensor type to 23 No Response Type?

I have not tried the type 23 yet. I had it set as 24hr aux. I was afraid it wouldn’t send notifications, but after some research now, it looks like it should. Do you recommend setting the “reports” to enabled or disabled? Thanks again for you help.

Reports should be enabled. Setting reports to be disabled will stop communication from the panel to ADC for that sensor Zone.

Soooo…selfishly going back to my own needs to monitor my freezers at the cottage… :slight_smile: It sounds like my ST814 isn’t the most reliable. Jason, considering that I’ve already got a SimonXT and don’t want to buy a new Z-wave thermostat, what would you recommend as a low-cost, reliable solution that could perhaps use WiFi to send me notifications if my freezers get too warm? I’d need the freezer probe obviously and a base station of some kind to connect to the internet and send me notifications.

Sorry, wrong thread!

Sorry, wrong thread!

Not a problem! Looks like that was moved here.