Flo by Moen missing functions

Flo currently has more limited features and does not include the overall water consumption monitoring with the SWM150.

The following features are available for Flo by Moen Smart Water Monitor and Shutoff on the Customer Website and Customer app:

• Quickly and easily shut off water from the app
  • Set up automation rules
  • Receive alerts when leaks are detected

Pete,

Jason is correct if you only going to use it in alarm.com with flow you will have limited access to very capable valve.

You can still set up shutting off (close or Open) function with water sensing from other sensors with Flow.

You will not see all the data in alarm.com using flow. you only will see open and close valve.

Now good stuff about the flow:
you have tons of data and stats you can see in flow app that you can still use. Valve is auto learning and it will detect your usage and fixtures - very cool. You can put your valve on sleep cycle if needed. you have full control over all controls. You can register the valve and get deductible coverage if any water damage occurs. you can pick up the phone and talk to moen tech support if needed, super helpful people.

Now alarm.com valve.

You will see open close and how much water you have used. total gallons. You your self can set up if valve will open and close with other sensors. You have zero control over any setup parameters you will have to contact Jason to make any changes. Everything has to be done on the back end with Jason and his people. Valve restrict flow even on the same size pipe. Valve has back flow preventor built in so if you have expansion problems you will have to install expansion tank.

To me restriction of water flow and unable to control features of the valve were deal braker. I like to have full controls over all my devices. Over all valve is ADC valve is not bad. Very well finish and build. I wis they would have larger version and allowed all controls. I know its fully controllable its just limited in adc system. I have added ADC valve to homeassist and i was able to manipulate all controls like flow valve. Still no ability to learn and distinguish appliances but i don’t really care about that. I wish ADC would give us more access to controls. We do own our equipment and we still have major restrictions.

you also will not be able to make any changes to advanced setting with alarm.com valve you will have to get Jason to make them for you on there side and that was deal braker for me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and insight Adamf79! I do have some concern about build quality on Flo by moen based on what I’m reading in reddit fwiw.

Thanks for reminding me about the need of an expansion tank with ADC – I saw that before and forgot about it. Need to think about that. And I do see there seems to be some retrenchment against DIY security – it was very clear with Honeywell reserving their best products for a pro-only line – I guess the conventional dealers (excepting the DIY-friendly ones like Surety) must have lobbied the manufacturers to preserve their livelihoods…

Any time Pete, glad I was able to help.

I never posted this here but here are my both installs. You can see diffrance in size and space between two valves.

ADC:

Flow:

I would not worry about build quality as I read those post as well. I had my for two year now and have no issues on the with the flow. People complain about plastic components and stuff but if you look at ADC it has brass valve casing but inside that casing everything is plastic as well. You also have to take it under the consideration that if you going to purchase your ADC valve from anywhere but authorize dealer you will have no warranty from ADC. Moen as long you have proof of purchase you have full warranty. I have some kitchen stuff from moen and there warranty if awesome.

That said I personally like ADC design and nice square enclosure. That said if ADC would have 1.25" fully open valve I probably would stick with ADC because I actually never had stuff brake from them. I also would love surery to give us access to advanced configuration tab for ADC valve like they have for thermostats “advanced and install”. As much as I think they are supper responsive to change stuff for us there are not there durning the weekend and later during the day when most DYI play around with stuff they have on the account. So it was always few day process for me to get stuff tune in correctly. This is mostly DIY community and support should be offer at list till later time and during the weekend. Not bashing them here as I can say hands down that they are best DIY service provider out there currently. Just voicing my opinion.

That said I hope this will help you deciding on your purchase if you looking for 1/2" valve ADC is your way to go as inside diameter of that valve is exactly that 1/2". anything bigger then that you have to look else where.

I also would love surery to give us access to advanced configuration tab for ADC valve like they have for thermostats “advanced and install”

We would like this as well, but it is not a decision we can make unfortunately. We’ve requested this as an enhancement from Alarm.com but I’ve been told they have not made any development toward exposing the valve settings as of yet. We’ve requested at least the flow thresholds and timers be integrated with the user app/website.