FireFighter Wired Smoke Alarm Audio Detector (ECFF319) and Nest Protect?

I have all Nest Protect smoke alarms in my house. Even though Nest links the thermostats in ADC, it doesn’t for the Nest Protect.

I was curious since the audio may be different than a standard smoke/fire detector, if the (ECFF319) will work with the alarm for both carbon monoxide and smoke alarm sounds that the Nest Protect produces.

If I can use it, how close does it need to be? In same room? Or directly next to it? Since they are interconnected, all I need is one?

Thanks for the help!

Even though Nest links the thermostats in ADC, it doesn’t for the Nest Protect.

I really wish ADC would fully integrate with all Nest products.

Since they’ve already linked the thermostat I see no reason they can’t do this since “Works with Nest” is just a matter of linking your Nest account with someone else and using the Nest XML or API functionality to bring the status/image/what have you to ADC.

I have over $500 invested in Nest/Dropcam cameras – no way am I replacing them with ADC cameras (not only from a financial standpoint but the newer generation Nest cameras image quality just can’t be beaten, have several friends with ADC wired cameras and they are always amazed at my camera quality)

I was curious since the audio may be different than a standard smoke/fire detector, if the (ECFF319) will work with the alarm for both carbon monoxide and smoke alarm sounds that the Nest Protect produces.

The ECFF319 is generally not for use with dual-function devices. It is an audio detection device and listens for the standard audio cadence of a smoke detector.

If the smoke detector audible alarm is different than standard wired smoke detectors, it would likely not function appropriately.

If I can use it, how close does it need to be?

If using an ECFF319, it needs to be installed within 6 inches of one of the interconnected smoke detectors. If they are truly interconnected and all sound when one does, only one ECFF319 is needed. The ECFF319 is generally intended for use with code stipulated 120VAC wired smokes.

I really wish ADC would fully integrate with all Nest products.

We are always happy to forward requests to Alarm.com! As far as the Protect goes, alarm signals generating a possible authority response must come from the Alarm.com compatible alarm panel. I do not expect that to change in the immediate future, but I cannot say with 100% certainty of course.

Integration with other automation products though is added routinely, and as more and more people want integration with third party products, more will be brought under the ADC umbrella undoubtedly. I cannot say whether video will adopt third party products, since as of yet they have mostly opted for controlled in-house products. Skybell HD is the first third party integration with video. Recently there has been talk of cameras which seem to move away from traditional surveillance though, like a table-top wide angle with two way audio.

Ok, I guess my question is, what is the best option for me to have fire detection on my panel/ADC?

Qolsys Hardwire 16 doesn’t support Life Safety Devices, ADC doesnt connect with Nest Protect, FireFighter may not work with Nest Protect, and since I already have Nest Protect, I don’t want to purchase 8 additional Smoke/Fire detectors. What do you think the best route is?

Thanks for the guidance!

I’ve not used an ECFF with a Protect to verify, but it could always be tested locally to determine whether the ECFF could pick up the tone. Return policy is 30 days.

Other than that you would want to add a GE 319.5 wireless smoke detector in select areas. There would not be another option in this particular case, unfortunately.

ImpetuousRacer,

I also am in the same boat. I have 9 Protects. Upon research though, the FireFighter states that it works with any UL listed smoke detector, as they all have the same “temporal 3-tone” alarm sound of the 3 repeating beeps. The Nest Protects are indeed UL listed, so aside from adding the voice commands, the alarm sound is the same as a regular smoke alarm, therefore it should work.

For reference, UL 217, the Standard for Safety for Single and Multiple Station Smoke Alarms, requires smoke alarms and combination smoke-CO alarms to generate a temporal 3-tone pattern when smoke is detected.

Hope this helps!