False Tamper Notification

I’m getting Tamper notifications for my Front Door sensor. I recently replaced the battery thinking that was the issue. But it worked on the original battery for years, and I replaced the battery maybe 1 month ago, and it’s already reporting tampers and then resolving them randomly on its own. What are my diagnostic steps? Is this just a broken sensor?

A tamper isn’t a general status, it may be inadvertently solved by replacing batteries because opening the sensor again and closing it is necessary, but the alert itself means specifically that the sensor’s tamper switch is not compressed. This usually means the cover for the sensor is loose.

Take a look at the sensor where the cover latches. Look for any broken plastic or loose fit, this can cause intermittent tamper alerts.

Jason - It started happening again. I had replaced the sensor itself (the circuit board portion), but left the part that’s stuck to the door and the magnet in place. It’s been fine since Sept, but today it started intermittently (and repeatedly) reporting a tamper. The door hadn’t been touched in while.

At this point, is my best bet to just replace the entire sensor unit (the base portion that is actually stuck to the door as well as the circuit board/top portion)? It’s weird this is only happening on the front door. We have a garage entry door sees more use than the front door, and I don’t believe we’ve ever had an issue with that one.

If you are replacing a sensor due to tamper status that won’t resolve, replacing the whole sensor is necessary.

Tamper is a physical issue. It means the sensor’s tamper switch cannot close. That is usually due to a loose cover. If the mounting back plate is left from the old sensor then half of the possible causes of loose connection are still there.