External Sensor

Hi,

I am wondering if there is an external zwave motion sensor available that works with 2gig. Basically, I am wanting to know if a devices starts up which causes the motion sensor to shake. I just wanted to be alerted or notified. Thanks again for your input.

Sincerely,
Tom

2Gig compatibility with Zwave is limited to automation devices such as locks, switches, and thermostats. There may be a security sensor that would fit your need, but motion detectors typically operate as passive infrared detectors (looking for a change in heat signature). Shock sensors are typically designed to notice sharp impacts, not a general rumbling.

What kind of device are you looking to monitor? There may be other ways of detecting its operation.

I am trying to see if a generator does a self-test successfully or not. Basically, it should detect the heat signature when it is on. I just want to be notified when this happens and I figured this something that 2gig should be able to handle. Thanks again for your help.

2GIG doesn’t have a sensor like that out of the box. You would need to get creative and find a normally closed wired sensor that will work in you application and wire it to a 2GIG wired sensor input. 2GIG has 2 wired sensor inputs on the back of the panel and some 2GIG wireless sensors such as the thin door/window contact and the re201 also have wired inputs. You would have to keep the wiresless sensor inside and run a wire out to the generator.