Existing system with 2GIG, how to update firmware?

Hi all,

I just took over a home with an existing 2GIG system. It seems that the system is hardwired but I’m new to this so I may be wrong. I checked the serial number and I’ll have to upgrade to a 4G LTE capable module, but was wondering how I update the firmware since the existing panel is 1.10. The problem is that the update cable only works with firmware 1.15 onwards, how do I update with older firmware?

I also have a secondary panel with no serial number on it, do I need to do something with that too?

Also, if anyone has tips on how to get this wall mounted panel out, that would be great. The wiring makes it difficult to get enough space to take out the existing module.

The problem is that the update cable only works with firmware 1.15 onwards, how do I update with older firmware?

Happy to clarify. 1.15 is not the pre-requisite. 1.5 is the cutoff for the update cable. 1.5 < 1.6 < 1.8 < 1.9 < 1.10 and so on.

Also, if anyone has tips on how to get this wall mounted panel out, that would be great. The wiring makes it difficult to get enough space to take out the existing module.

That is the power cable, it is a low voltage wire leading to a 14VDC plug in power supply. It wouldn’t have been installed with that little slack to the cable, unless the installer went out of their way to pull the slack out of the wire down in the basement or wherever it is plugged into an outlet. That would be silly though, making it impossible to service normally.

It’s more likely the wire is caught or bunched up. Pull on the wires and see if you can get them to pull out of the wall a bit more. Don’t pull on the panel itself.

Thanks for the reply! I may have been misunderstanding the firmware numbering system. So based on this sticker I’ll be ok with the update cable?

Yes, your version is much newer than 1.5.

We leave that note of the 1.5 being required just in case but the truth is it would be very difficult to find a pre 1.5 2GIG panel. It is an exceptionally old version.

You can update directly to 1.19.3.1

Thanks that’s helpful…unfortunately the wiring situation is above my skill level. Seems like there’s just no give at all. It’s possible that the installer did it that way to prevent someone from DIYing it like I’m trying to.

I would trace the wire from the transformer to where it goes into the floor/wall in the basement, it is likely caught somewhere near there, pulling some slack out will let you pull more at the panel.

If you can’t get quite enough slack with what is there, you can always splice in extra cable.

An installer really wouldn’t intentionally tighten it that much.