Event-triggered rule not working

Hi, I created an event-triggered rule that will close my garage door whenever the panel is set to armed stay, at any time. On the website, the rule is set correctly and it shows ACTIVE. I tested it last night (left the garage door open and set the panel to ARMED STAY) but the garage door never closed.

Any reason this may be?

Thank you,
David

One possibility is that the garage door status was not updated prior to setting the alarm. If you set the alarm shortly after opening the garage, this might account for the miscommunication and is the most likely culprit.

(In fact, I took a look at the history for the account and the garage did not report open prior to the arm stay command. The last status was closed.)

You can see this on your ADC History page as well.

Would the garage door have to have been open from the app in order for it to register as open with ADC? In this instance, I had opened it from the physical garage door button, although it should have shown as open (at least via MyQ) - the garage door had been open for probably close to an hour, if not longer.

I will play with it and try opening it via the app as well as the physical button and see if it reports as open when I do that.

Thanks,
David

No, it wouldn’t need to be opened via the app. There is some delay because Alarm.com doesn’t know the door is open until the Liftmaster MyQ system tells it so but that would be seconds or minutes, an hour should be way more than enough. Did the event history not show the door was opened even after an hour?

Ryan, I will check the event history when I get home tonight. I will also try opening and closing (leaving it open for several minutes in between) and see if it shows on the history. I will let you know if it isn’t showing up.

Thanks!

Hi Ryan,

Something is definitely wrong - I tried the garage door again, and it showed open on the Alarm.com app, but the event-triggered rule did not work.

But, I am noticing an even bigger issue, and I am wondering if it is all related. For the last several days, the alarm status is not displaying correctly on the mobile apps (I have verified this on both an iPad and an Android phone). Right now, the alarm is disarmed, but all mobile apps are showing ARMED STAY (the last arming we did). For me to be able to arm from my phone, I have to hit disarm (even though it is disarmed) and then arm again. So I cannot tell from any mobile device what the current status of my alarm panel is - I had done an RMA swap on my panel - this is the new one. Might it just not be registered correctly with Alarm.com? The garage door status does seem to display correctly on the app - only the arming status is (always) wrong. Please help! This is not good!

Thanks,
David

I just figured something else out - in looking at the history on the app, it seems that arming the system on the panel does NOT register as an event with Alarm.com, but arming via the app on our mobile devices does. Not sure why, but looking at the event history, I see where I opened and closed the garage door, but there is no history of arming and disarming the alarm at the panel in between the garage door opening and closing.

SO, the problem seems to be between the panel and Alarm.com. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-David

That definitely sounds like a communication issue. Strange, because your signal strength history is showing as very good. I’ve seen problems like this occur with particular cell phone towers and coverage areas. We’ll have to wait for business hours to troubleshoot an issue like that since we need help from Verizon.

I guess it could possibly be the panel or cell module. What was the reason for swapping the panel before? What were the symptoms you saw before the swap?

Hi Ryan,

We swapped the first panel due to intermittent muffled audio coming from the speaker. Jay spoke with 2GIG who said it was non-repairable. I never had this communication issue with the original panel. The previous panel worked perfectly (aside for the audio issue).

This panel does arm and disarm with the mobile app - it just doesn’t show up correctly on the mobile app and doesn’t show an arm or disarm in the event history when armed at the panel.

Given that I never had that issue with the first panel, and seeing that I am still using the same cell module as before, do you think it could be a defect with this panel?

Thank you,
David

I guess it could possibly be the panel or cell module. I’ll create a ticket to have someone look into it on Monday.

Thank you, Ryan. Talk with you tomorrow.

-David

I had Alarm.com do a hard reset on the communicator. Additionally, they sent through a command to update the reporting on panel to make sure that everything was synced back up correctly. Can you send through some arm and disarm to see if this resolved the issue? Hopefully this solved the problem.

I also had them check to see if there was any kind of communication issue with Verizon in your area. It doesn’t appear as though there are any other major issues with other Verizon users in that area.

Hi Jay and Ryan,

That seems to have done the trick! The panel is logging all activity correctly now, and the event triggered rule to close the garage door now works as well. Thank you so much for looking into this so quickly!!

Since a hard reset was performed, is there anything I will have to re-program?

It was odd - early this morning, we heard the panel re-arm stay…we weren’t sure what was going on at first, then realized it was probably Alarm.com checking it out.

Thank you again!!

-David

Glad to hear the issue is resolved. None of the programming was changed with the reset, so you won’t need to change anything.

Great! So far, everything now seems to be working perfectly. Thanks again for all your help - I have been SO happy with SuretyCam and Alarm.com…I will be referring to ANYONE looking for a DIY system!!