Error msg: There are no more available access code slots for the Z Wave Lock

On Alarm.com, when I attempt to add lock access for a 12th or 13th user (exact number varies), I receive the following error message:

There are no more available access code slots for the Z Wave Lock <Lock Name>

My Schlage Connect Century locks, the Qolsys IQ panel, and Alarm.com all support 100+ users. So when I use all three together, why am I being limited to only 12 lock users?

I have multiple locks and I’ve observed this behavior on all of them. Thanks for your help!

I’m not aware of a Schlage Deadbolt model that allows 100+ codes. The most I recall is 30. What model of lock are you currently using? Is it the BE369? BE468? BE469?

My Schlage locks are BE469. The manual states “Up to 30 User Codes can be stored in the lock at one time.”

I observe this warning message when I add the 12th or 13th user. I’d be delighted if I could get anywhere close to 30!

Sorry about my “100+” statement, I was thinking of my Yale locks, at our other house, which really do support 100+ users.

I observe this warning message when I add the 12th or 13th user. I’d be delighted if I could get anywhere close to 30!

Thank you for confirming the model, now that we know 30 is the max we can narrow down the cause, clearly something else is limiting if only 12 or so are accepted.

As a test, if you delete a user code in Alarm.com, or revoke lock access from one, can you then create another new one?

I successfully add and delete lock users all the time. This is for a vacation rental; I give each guest a code that’s the last four digits of their cell number. Everything works great with this approach, except that I’m limited to just 12 or 13 total users for each lock.

Were these locks used with a different system previously? Or were codes added to the locks themselves directly? Have you tried a factory reset on one of them to determine if that resolves the issue?

Also I should have mentioned that I have two of these same locks, one on each of two different IQ panels, at this property; and I observe the identical warning message on both locks/both panels.

These locks were paired to the IQ panels right out of the box. They were never used on any other system, and never manually programmed.

No, I have not tried a factory reset of a lock. I could do this but I’m only at the property occasionally so it might be 1-2 weeks before I could try this. It seems like a long shot to me but I’m willing to try it.

We’ll dig into the history and see if there is anything telling regarding this limitation. Follow ups will be posted here.

I’ve spoken to Alarm.com and they are investigating this on their end as well. We should hear an update within a couple days. They verified the behavior shouldn’t be expected, but the fact you’ve got two panels with same locks and same firmware helps provide corroborating evidence in itself. We will post updates here of what we find.

Thanks very much Jason and Warren for your help with this! It’s non-fatal but it’d be great to fix.

Any update from Alarm.com on this issue?

As of last update it was not recreated, but they are still investigating possible causes. I’ll check again today.

No definitive word yet, unfortunately. We will continue troubleshooting and will post any update. Alarm.com gathered some additional detail from the systems to help pinpoint the issue so hopefully not long now.

I continue to observe this error. For example see attached. Oddly, the number of lock users needed to trigger the error varies – anywhere from 11 to 15 users. Thanks for continuing to follow up on this!

170313-1235_Alarm.com_Access-Code-Slots-Error.pdf (33.7 KB)

Not as of yet, I’m planning talking to the individuals at ADC investigating this tomorrow. Hopefully we’ll hear some progress or cause.

Does the number vary on the same lock, or is it the same total on each lock no matter what?

The number varies on the same lock; but this is over time when tried at various times over a period of weeks. In any case the number is not consistent over time. Thanks Jason!

Were you ever able to factory reset the locks as a test? It looks like one was removed and re-added to one of the accounts at least. Did this prompt any change at all?

No. One lock was paired right out of the box with one of my IQ panels. The second lock I initially used with an ISY994i, then subsequently I removed its association with the ISY and paired it with my second IQ panel.

Both locks and both panels exhibit identical behavior, with respect to running out of lock user code slots on Alarm.com.

Given this identical behavior between the two locks and two panels, to me it seems unlikely that factory resetting a lock would make any difference. I’m willing to give it a try, but it could be 1-2 weeks before I’m on site and have the time.

I’ve never knowingly removed and re-added either lock to its respective account.

Given this identical behavior between the two locks and two panels, to me it seems unlikely that factory resetting a lock would make any difference. I’m willing to give it a try, but it could be 1-2 weeks before I’m on site and have the time.

Removal and re-addition would be one of the standard steps to try, and a factory reset on one of the locks would let us see if it has an effect. These are necessary steps to rule out local issues.

They are especially important considering that ADC has been unable to recreate the issue. This usually indicates the culprit is something specific to how these locks are being used. Wiping the slate clean with a factory reset lock, newly added to the panel, will give us a better idea of what is occurring.

I’ve never knowingly removed and re-added either lock to its respective account.

You’re correct, Alarm.com reported that a lock was newly added but this was shortly prior to this thread’s creation, labeled “Garage Lock”