Energy Usage

Alright, I am looking into the setup, and there are a couple things I need to verify, but the nature of the problem is definitely how you describe it. The SCE meter is technically a downstream meter of the Solar Panels (as is everything else), so you would think you could handle this post-data collection, but they are downstream only during those times when solar production outpaces grid power draw. I think it might be that GEN 1 clamps can’t deal with this and they can only ever report an absolute value. (you suggested this above) If they can only produce an absolute value, then there is no way to tell the direction of the flow, so you couldn’t have a switching upstream meter designated. An annoying catch 22. We are still working on it, but it looks like I am just confirming your suspicions.

I wonder if it would be possible to, I guess, blindly switch based on a momentary 0 value of the SCE. Wouldn’t it report 0 usage from itself at such a time when solar production matches house usage? Unfortunately I doubt the meters would be able to report that exact value.

Regarding the two wires measured by the CT clamp, I am still verifying.

Just a thought, but based on how we suspect the Clamp measures power, if it cannot discern directionality of the flow, wouldn’t running both wires through it just double the reported solar output rather than subtract?

The clamps detect the magnetic field that surrounds the wire. But if two wires with opposite flow are next to each other then the magnetic flow is subtracted, the clamps will measure the difference…still they will not be able to tell which way it goes…but that is no longer relevant then…because that flow will be exactly the house consumption.

This night I was able to rewire the solar panel so it goes through the clamp…will have to wait until tomorrow to see if it works.

I still have to find a way to draw power from the panel to permanently power the meters, this in theory should be simple, the problem is that only the wires for the 2 phases are easily accesible in the panel…the neutral bar seems to be behind the breakers…and the panel is very cramped

What’s the verdict on the reporting? Good news?

Yes…great news…that did it, now the numbers make sense. Probably it will be some time until I get the power running to those meters…don’t have enough time the next few days.

Thanks Jason…I will probably update this thread if I encounter more related issues.

Hi Jason,

I will be removing and reattaching the Home Energy Meters after upgrading the firmware to get rid of the low battery warning. I think I will have issues with the Solar Meter, since I can not define it as solar…can you do it once I am done? thanks.

Also does ADC know why the Green Button Info was incorrect? and how to fix it?

Yes, just let us know when you have the system completed. Also, I posted on the other thread in response, but we can also attempt to apply the historical data from your removed meters to the newly added meters.

Looking into Green Button.

Thanks Jason, I finished with the firmware update and reattaching the devices.

oh oh…i noticed that the meters were not reporting the right amounts and removed the SCE and added…but it seems that you started with the conversion to Solar and transfer of history at the same time.

Hopefully it did not caused any problems…

I am afraid that the Solar meter will need to be removed/added

well…took a lot of troubleshooting, but now the meters seem to be working. What worked was to removed them all and add them, also I removed the batteries from them…now values seem normal.

The only problem is that the old meters where not removed from ADC…I wonder if you can remove all the ones that say old and reconfigure the Solar Panel meter as a generation meter.

Thanks.

A command was sent to remove the meters labeled “old” and and make the solar meter a generator.

(running rediscovery)

#2 Thanks
#3 Sent
#4 Thanks, but I don’t see any values on ADC (website)…I do see the Solar values on the ADC iPhone app though
#5 Yes, I have the latest app and ios, I logged out and then logged on and did not see a version number…But under Settings Usage it shows 3.2.4

Thanks

So you still see three meters only in the app? Which three?

I see all the meters… the problem is with the chart of the parent meter “SCE” that only shows the legend for 3 items. Making it kind of useless.

Any Idea of what may be wrong with the Solar meter? it is showing values on the app but nothing shows in the website…

I am seeing values for the solar panel. Are you referring to historic values?

Not the historic …just recent…do you see the green bars in the solar screen?

No, you’re right, all that is there is SCE, my bad. Do the SCE values look correct to you? Have you changed how the meters are clamped around power?

Yes SCE values are correct…that looks a lot like the solar curve…but is not…I just happen to start charging the car at 10AM

Hi Jason, any updates about the solar values? thanks

I spoke with ADC about this yesterday and they are looking into why the values are not showing up. Have you tried removing/re-adding one more time to verify if that changes anything?

Also, would you be able to create a custom temporary login with just read-only access to energy features? ADC cannot replicate what you are seeing with the App and would like to be able to take a look at what you are seeing.

Let me know if this is ok and we will send an email with directions.