Easy removal of adhesive

I mounted my (DSC/Tyco/Johnson Power G) door sensors with the double-sided adhesive, and wanted to replace one of them. Browsing online for how to remove the “3M VHB” adhesive brings up some 3M literature on the subject which appears somewhat complicated. They do mention for small surface areas using a “textured wire,” and further random reading of civilian posts suggested the following method: Use a hair dryer to heat the edge of the adhesive, then use dental floss to slice through the adhesive. I’m not sure how much the hair dryer helped, but the dental floss worked well when I switched from a ribbon to round floss. The remaining adhesive was rather simple to peel off from both the sensor and the painted wood, with no residue left behind. The process was done within 15 minutes and I did not need to apply any chemicals. I just wanted to share this experience in case anyone else has apprehensions about what might happen when attempting to unmount the tape, as I did before I tried.

3 Likes

Sounds great!

In addition to this, if additional double sided tape is required, it can typically be purchased by the roll from local hardware/big box stores, or online.

Seriously… question I have always wondered about… ty …