DW10 sensor intermittently "goes offline"

I have a 2GIG-DW10 on a gate in my steel fence that intermittently goes “offline” then comes back usually less than a day later. This happens around once a week.

I suspect the issue is either distance from the panel (since it is the furthest sensor from my panel), or line of sight (if I trace a straight line it might actually cut through the lawn a little bit). This is based on the fact that it’s been doing this since it’s been installed, though it does appear to be increasing in frequency lately.

Is there perhaps some sort of signal extender or booster that I could try?

Offline refers to sensor supervision, the heartbeat signal from the sensor telling the panel that the sensor is connected and working.

Offline errors generally occur from one or more of the following:

1. Range.
  2. Attenuation from intervening objects.
  3. Environmental interference, typically large metal sources.
  4. Lower battery levels.

From the description of your issue it sounds like you could potentially have a combination of any of those 4. Additionally, if this isn’t a temperature and humidity controlled environment, it is not recommended to use a DW10-345. Those are interior sensors that can be damaged from prolonged exposure outside.

An outdoor rated sensor like the 2GIG-DW30-345 would be better suited.

If range is an issue still, the 2GIG-RPTR1-345 is a 2GIG repeater which can be used in between the sensor and the panel to improve range.

I have it sealed pretty well, so I think the DW10 should be fine, though I’m glad to learn about the DW30.

I will try the RPTR1. Thank you!

UPDATE: I purchased the RPTR1 and installed it in an upstairs window. It was more hassle than expected to install since you have to setup your own electrical wire and connect it to an outlet. I used some christmas lights wire.

It’s been over a month and so far I haven’t seen a connection lost, so looks like this may be good.

ASIDE: if I moved to contact sensor to a higher point on the gate, I suspect that would solve the problem as well, however I put it at the bottom of the gate so it’s not obvious.