DW10 loss of supervision - Repeater

I have a DW10 in a gun safe to alert me when it opens. I got a loss of supervision alert on the panel today for it. Only change is I placed a smaller metal Safe on top of that. I read another post that said metal can affect it and to go with a repeater. Will the Aeon Labs DSD37-ZWUS work to fix this?

Will the Aeon Labs DSD37-ZWUS work to fix this?

No, that is a Z-wave repeater and would not affect security sensors. What you are looking for is the RE524X.

I have a DW10 in a gun safe to alert me when it opens. I got a loss of supervision alert on the panel today for it

I think a better option, to keep the wireless transmitter outside of the safe, may be to use a simple wired door contact inside and run the wire out of the safe, then the transmitter (DW10) could be placed anywhere outside the safe and not be as heavily affected by metal.

Do you have anymore of the older resolution repeaters available or just the 524?

The 524X is the replacement for all prior models. Older models are no longer manufactured.

Also, will it still send me notifications like open and all without supervision? I have noticed that the alerts of open are not as accurate.

The dw10 sensors are inside each safe, do you think it will help and solve the issue if I put them on the outside of the safe for now until I get a repeater?

Yes, the repeater forwards all standard signals.

I would say the better option would indeed be to place the wireless sensors outside the safe. From above:

I think a better option, to keep the wireless transmitter outside of the safe, may be to use a simple wired door contact inside and run the wire out of the safe, then the transmitter (DW10) could be placed anywhere outside the safe and not be as heavily affected by metal.

The DW10 should ideally be used as a wireless transmitter for a wired sensor inside the safe.

I’m not sure how to do that though. Sorry if I didn’t clarify, but will the dw10 still send signals on open sign loss of supervision?

Do you have any links to what you suggested to give me an idea of what you’re talking about?

Ah, yes, the DW10 used as a transmitter would still send all of the same signals. It would simply use the wired sensor to tell it when the circuit is open.

This video shows how to similarly use a wired sensor for a gate. The DW10 comes with a lead wire which would be spliced with the wired sensor leads. The DW10 could then be placed wherever you could run the cable.

But until I do that and with it how it is without supervision, will it still send signals to give me notifications on open? Could the weaker signal be what’s causing me to sometimes get an open notification 2 times on one open? Sometimes I get it instantly like I should along with another an hour later. And sometimes it’s not recognizing it as closes back. Is that cause of the loss of supervision or signal loss?

It worked fine in the gun safe with a different smaller metal Safe on top of it. It started this when I went from a stack on biometric safe on top of gun safe to a barska biometric safe on top of the gun safe. I guess the barska safe is heavier metal?

With the above being said how it worked till I changed safes on top, do you think a repeater 5 feet from the safes will correct it and allow me to leave as is?

But until I do that and with it how it is without supervision, will it still send signals to give me notifications on open? Could the weaker signal be what’s causing me to sometimes get an open notification 2 times on one open? Sometimes I get it instantly like I should along with another an hour later. And sometimes it’s not recognizing it as closes back. Is that cause of the loss of supervision or signal loss?

I apologize, I misunderstood previously. Supervision only refers to the standard supervision check in signals, sort of the sensors heartbeat detected by the panel. If one of these check-in signals is not heard, the panel reports a loss of supervision. Turning off supervision does not itself affect whether an Open or close signal is sent. Seeing a supervision loss does not directly mean that the sensor will not report open/close.

The issue is that the likely cause of the loss of supervision errors will indeed affect other signaling like open and close. Environmental interference does not affect different types of sensor signals differently.

It worked fine in the gun safe with a different smaller metal Safe on top of it. It started this when I went from a stack on biometric safe on top of gun safe to a barska biometric safe on top of the gun safe. I guess the barska safe is heavier metal?

Possibly. It may also be affected by lower battery levels. Though I would in general recommend not placing wireless sensors in encased metal regardless. As the battery power drops, the signal will have a harder and harder time getting to the panel, so even if it seems to work initially, there is no guarantee the same issue does not return after a period of time.

With the above being said how it worked till I changed safes on top, do you think a repeater 5 feet from the safes will correct it and allow me to leave as is?

Probably. I would still say the ideal solution would be to move the wireless sensor, but a repeater nearby would certainly help if the signal can get out.

In most circumstances, a repeater is a great solution, and can add a ton of overall reliability. The only reason I would still recommend moving the sensors in this case is simply because they are fully surrounded, presumably, by metal, which heavily affects RF signal transmission, and there is no guarantee the issue doesn’t creep up later.