Duck antenna & LTE module

I have this external duck antenna plugged in with my CDMA module:

Is this compatible with GC2 LTE module? Started thinking about looming Verizon CDMA shutdown end of next year.

No, the LTE module use two antenna included in the LTE module packaging. The one you have linked should not be used.

If you find you need boosted reception, there are attic antenna options for the LTE module.

This post peaked my interest…

The communicator I purchased from Surety (2GIG-LTEV-A-GC2) does in fact have 2 antennas attached. When looking at the 2GIG website it appears as if only 1 is being sold as an upgrade (2GIG-ANT5XL-GC2 – LTE) to be installed as an attic antenna. The link to antenna is “https://www.2gig.com/products/radios-antennas/gc2-attic-antenna/

Are 2 separate antennas required for the LTE module? Or are 2 being used as a “fail over” to facilitate the use of the one with better signal? In this respect (Fail Over) although unlikely it is possible to install only one antenna remotely in the attic expecting to improve signal quality but actually seeing no improvement because the antenna was installed in a less favorable location (Possibly near another radio device or Metal structure).

I bring it up because my panel does not show maximum signal but our cellular phones do, both of which are LTE, and on the same carrier (Verizon). If I can install this extended attic antenna and maximize my signal to the panel I’d definitely get 1, or 2 if so required.

Pending an answer on the need for 2 antennas (or 1), I’d like to hear a technical explanation of realistic gains for the (2GIG-ANT5XL-GC2 – LTE).

I also don’t see a listing on the surety store for this antenna, does surety offer this?

Both Antenna must be installed for proper signaling, but the attic antenna replaces only one of the antenna. The attic antenna gets connected to the “Main” antenna port on the module. The Div antenna should remain connected.

Pending an answer on the need for 2 antennas (or 1), I’d like to hear a technical explanation of realistic gains for the (2GIG-ANT5XL-GC2 – LTE).

This is quite simply a larger antenna with longer cable. Realistic gains will depend on each unique case and we couldn’t say the expected improvement in terms of visible bars, etc. An attic antenna will generally help except perhaps in cases where a metal roof is used or the location simply has extremely weak/no signaling.

It may be good to try relocating the panel closer to an external, if only temporarily to test, which could help determine if certain areas of the home have better coverage. In cases where the immediate environment of the panel causes an issue, an attic antenna may have a large impact.

But in cases where borderline low signaling is frequent, an attic antenna may help improve it above that low threshold in most cases.

I also don’t see a listing on the surety store for this antenna, does surety offer this?

We do not currently sell that model yet in the store, but if you need to use an attic LTE antenna for your GC2 through suretyDIY, please email customerservice@suretyDIY.com and our team can assist with getting one for you.