DSC Touch or 2Gig

I have several properties with 2Gig panels/systems monitored by SuretyCam. I am quite happy with the systems. Now, I will be converting the system in a new property. The existing panel is a DSC panel. I think the system is wired, but I am not sure yet. I will certainly be adding a wireless sensor or two and some z-wave devices (i.e., thermostat, etc.). The local installer is suggesting going with a DSC Touch panel instead of 2Gig. Is this compatible with ADC and SC? What do you (i.e., SuretyCam) think? Is this an upgrade or just a problem in waiting? All advice appreciated.

There would be a couple things to consider:

1. Is the system using wired or wireless sensors now?
  2. What type of wireless sensors do you want to use?

If the system is using wired sensors now, there is no benefit of going with a DSC Touch over any other panel regarding the sensors. You would just need to use a Hardwired to Wireless translator.

2GIG: TAKE-345
IQ: Hardwire 16
DSC Touch: RE308

DSC peripherals are not sold through suretyDIY currently. However, they are available through many retailers.

The DSC Touch is a DSC radio version of the IQ Panel. It is ADC compatible, yes.

Take a look at some of the wireless peripherals using DSC protocol and compare them against the ones for GE and Honeywell. Since the panels have a lot of the same features, aesthetics may end up being a determining factor.

Also, I’m notcertain if any differences in automation compatibility exist between DSC Touch and IQ Panel, but the IQ Panel is a bit behind 2GIG GC2 in those terms currently. The compatibility lists are pretty similar, but the IQ Panel cannot be added as a secondary controller in a Zwave network currently.

I think it is wired but amd not currently certain. As said, I am familiar with 2Gig panels/systems already, so my knee jerk is stay with them. I have had two wireless systems converted with the 2Gig takeover module with great results. I will add at least a garage sensor and a zwave thermostat. I am outside the SuretyCam everywhere and thus use local installers for initial or “big” jobs, SC for monitoring and handle add ons and maintenance myself. I am being pitched the DSC Touch as more advanced than 2Gig. I have TS1 panels at other properties, but it appears the most recent panel is the GC3. Is there some advantage of the DSC Touch over the GC3? If things are even, I will go with the 2Gig. Thanks

The IQ Panel and DSC Touch do have a deployment advantage in that they have been out for a bit and have seen firmware updates and performance tweaks.

The GC3 has not yet seen its first firmware update, so certain features are not yet available. (more limited automation device list, internal wifi not enabled yet)

The DSC Touch and IQ Panel have built in cellular radios which cannot be swapped or replaced. The GC3, like the GC2, has a modular antenna and module card (now much easier to install, as well) which can be swapped if need arise.

The GC3 does not currently have a secondary touchscreen option. One is being developed currently. For secondary local control, you would need to use a PAD1 (does not give any feedback, just a keypad).

If you are familiar with 2GIG, the GC3 will still be familiar, but with updated features and easier programming menus. GC3 I think has the best screen and local control.

FYI. I have determined that the existing system is wired. Thus, I do not see any real advantage to the DSC Touch panel.
At present, my plan is to use a takeover module with the existing system, use the GC3 2Gig panel for the main and the plain keypads for the aux panels. I will replace the keypads with GC3 compatible aux panels as soon as they come out. Is there any issue in upgrading the keypads in future in this way? Any word on the drop date for the GC3 compatible aux panel?

At present, my plan is to use a takeover module with the existing system, use the GC3 2Gig panel for the main and the plain keypads for the aux panels. I will replace the keypads with GC3 compatible aux panels as soon as they come out. Is there any issue in upgrading the keypads in future in this way? Any word on the drop date for the GC3 compatible aux panel?

You would be able to use PAD1s until the secondary touchscreen, yes. The PAD1’s could then be later removed and replaced.

There’s no date yet, but I’ve heard rumblings that they should be beta testing somewhat soon. Hopefully we will see them out this year.