Doorbell video

I removed the image with the face, but saw it. Lighting no doubt played a part there. I am happy to pass this on to Qolsys to review.

Ok thank you. I agree about lighting, but that’s what you get with these panels. And my point for them was: basically every other ml algorithm in commercial products can recognize a person from that amount of detail. So hopefully they will consider improving it.

Hello again, I have another example of this bug too pass along, with better lighting and clear image of person, but still same “no face detected during disarm” notification. Will send to you via DM so you don’t have to delete it here :slight_smile:

Got it. Will send it to Qolsys

I’m sending you another DM with another interesting person ID error, this time it alerted me in the middle of the night, outlining a spider, with the label “person”, pretty funny!

On this same topic, I think you explained this to me before, please remind me:

When I see a notification of a person detected, there is a photo of the person in the notif. But when I click the notif, I’m taken to a live view, not the recorded video that occurred a long time ago when the person was there. And if I check history in app, I can see a person detect event, but no video.

Latest example is in history today I see event “front doorbell detected a person at 1:07PM”, but it is now 3:35PM and there still is no corresponding “front doorbell video camera triggered(person)” event.

Can I set the system up to ALWAYS record a video snip whenever a person is detected?

Ok, answering my own question: the video seems to show up six to eight hours later, for those events (30% or so?) which doesn’t show video snip right away.

Though I guess the problem is server side, still the end result is that the doorbell is kind of useless for security.

I think you explained this to me before, please remind me:

Person detection notifications with the thumbnail attached should go out right away after the thumbnail is processed by ADC, not the whole recorded clip. That notification will link you to live view since the clip is not ready yet when the notification is sent. The person that triggered it may no longer be around when you click the link of course.

Button press notifications are sent right away, and link you to live view. Recordings should be available within a few minutes typically.

Ok, answering my own question: the video seems to show up six to eight hours later, for those events (30% or so?) which doesn’t show video snip right away.

Can you provide examples by time-stamp of which video recordings were only available hours later, and indicated when the recording took place vs. when it was available? That is not expected. I’ll have ADC look at those individual events for a cause.

This is very common problem, but the most recent example I wrote about was the one I screenshotted above, Saturday May 14 1:07PM. The video snippet for the person event showed up six hours later or so.

And worse, the mobile notif for the person event contains a tiny still of the person, yet clicking it takes me to live video which of course no longer contains a person. And the most frustrating things is that the in app event history does not contain the still images from the mobile notifs, so we can’t examine them there.

And also a bad bug: the timeline never contains all events; only a seemingly random small fraction (certainly not prioritized for importance, like for example person events) so we can seldom see what we need there either.

And worse, the mobile notif for the person event contains a tiny still of the person, yet clicking it takes me to live video which of course no longer contains a person

This is expected.

Person detection notifications with the thumbnail attached should go out right away after the thumbnail is processed by ADC, not the whole recorded clip. That notification will link you to live view since the clip is not ready yet when the notification is sent. The person that triggered it may no longer be around when you click the link of course.

And also a bad bug: the timeline never contains all events; only a seemingly random small fraction (certainly not prioritized for importance, like for example person events) so we can seldom see what we need there either.

Are you referring to the recent activity clips on the home page next to where you can select the “highlights” option? I think this is what you are referencing. That area displays the 10 most recent recordings. It’s not random or a bug, it would always display the last 10.

This is very common problem, but the most recent example I wrote about was the one I screenshotted above, Saturday May 14 1:07PM. The video snippet for the person event showed up six hours later or so.

Thanks, we’ll have ADC look at this event as it obviously shouldn’t take that long to be available. More examples would help too so that they can investigate, so if you notice any others let us know.

I meant the little slide show animation timeline. This does not seem to be just ten most recent events. But even if it were, it still does not show all events, the events that it decides to show are effectively random from my perspective. The example I gave before is a good one: why show me something dumb like “sunset” but not show something critical to home security, like a person event occurring about that same time? Whenever it says “you’re all caught up” I take it to be speaking ironically (because of the missing security events).

I know, you’ve explained this to me before, but I’m not explaining well what I mean: if I can’t see the clip because it’s not ready yet, the app should not take me to live video of an empty porch (especially after churning for 30-60sec to bring up the stream). Show me the image that was in the notif. I want to look more closely at the event that triggered the notification. The photo with the person in it. But this photo is not shown when clicking. And not available in the event history sidebar!

The example I gave before is a good one: why show me something dumb like “sunset” but not show something critical to home security, like a person event occurring about that same time? Whenever it says “you’re all caught up” I take it to be speaking ironically

Ok, so you are not referencing the video clips here, you are referencing the actual Highlights link. At the end of the Highlights slides it says that “You’re all caught up” message.

I expected you were referencing video clips, the clips right beside that link which are, left to right, the last 10 recorded.

For the Highlights link, events that display in Highlights are automatically generated as the day goes on and represent a basic summary of daily activity. All events that occur during the day will not be included in Highlights, and it is not customizable. Taking a sampling of activity meant to be broad strokes of daily activity will not necessarily show you the specific event you want.

Instead, view the Activity page for a full list of events.

I want to look more closely at the event that triggered the notification. The photo with the person in it. But this photo is not shown when clicking. And not available in the event history sidebar!

I see, I’ll pass this along to ADC for review as a potential addition!

Yes that’s right, the animated timeline at the top that finishes with “you’re all caught up.”

This would be very useful if I was actually all caught up; that is, if it actually showed me all the important security events of the day so far.

But it doesn’t, it shows unimportant things like sunrise and sunset, and leaves out important things like person detection events.

If we can’t fix that, we should at least be able to remove the useless widget entirely.

More feedback for them please!

Hi, I’ll send via DM another example doorbell video to please pass to them. It is a person notif in the middle of the night. Which is obvious to the most basic open source machine leaning model that it’s a cat. Person detection is in principle an awesome feature for a security system. But it’s really annoying to be repeatedly woken by such amateur engineering.

Thank you for that video, we will pass that on to ADC representatives for review

Hi again Tyler, Jason: I’m DMing another interesting example.

The AI failed to detect or notify about a person taping a flier to my door. But it does detect the flier itself as a person. It sent a notif with the flier outlined, and labeled “person.” And then posted a video of the flier. Not of the person posting the flier. Then, because it’s windy and the flier is fluttering, it sends notification after notification of new person detections, all with the flier outlined.

This is definitely the worst ML algorithm training I’ve ever seen in a commercial product. Please pass these examples on for hopefully some improvement. Especially please note not only that a flier is nothing like a person, but that flier movement triggers constant person re-identifications.

You can pass along videos to Alarm.com directly at any time thorugh the Alarm.com website. Its actually best this way as it goes directly to them.

To do so, login to your Alarm.com account and navigate to the Saved Video section under the Video tab.

Click the saved video you want to send and click the thumbs up icon. You can send just one or several at a time and you can leave a note in the notes field regarding the issue with the video (Cat mislabeled a car or person, etc. )

Oh I see, I misunderstood, I thought I read somewhere that adc wouldn’t talk to consumers, that everything must go through the dealers. I’ll start sending things direct instead!