Doorbell ringing randomly and losing power

I have a ADC-VDB770 that had been working fine until recently.

Lately, it will randomly trigger the mechanical chime, which will ring anywhere between 3 times (observed minimum) to an undetermined number of times, at which point I disconnect the chime mechanism out of frustration. I am 100% certain this is happening without anyone being at the door, as I’ve visually verified it several times now. Also, this is happening at various times of the day. At one point, I thought it might be a delayed response to an actual button press from a delivery person. But I doubt that theory now based on the length of time between the chime and the last delivery, and also the number of chimes that are occurring (even the most obnoxious delivery person would not press the button 15+ times). It is as if there’s a ghost that is playing with our doorbell.

The other symptom I had was the doorbell losing power occasionally. I would have to go outside and jiggle it or press it toward the wall to get it to power back up. That was happening before the random chiming. However, now that the random chiming has started, I don’t seem to be getting the power down events anymore (or at least haven’t in a while).

Any theories on this before I start tinkering with anything? Thanks for your help.

The other symptom I had was the doorbell losing power occasionally. I would have to go outside and jiggle it or press it toward the wall to get it to power back up. That was happening before the random chiming. However, now that the random chiming has started, I don’t seem to be getting the power down events anymore (or at least haven’t in a while).

What color is the LED, is it solid green , or some other color?

Remove the doorbell from the back plate to disconnect power. Check wiring at the back plate to ensure it is getting the correct voltage and to make sure that no wiring behind the doorbell is loose or smashed, as this can cause power issues.

Check that all wiring is correct and that the transformer in use is applying adequate power to the doorbell.

Check to make sure the doorbell’s internal battery is not pillowed. While the batter is not removable, the battery is housed behind the label on the back of the doorbell, this label will pop up (and not seat correctly) if the internal battery is bloated.

Thanks for responding. These problems have not reoccurred since I posted this, which is weird but if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.