Doorbell installation

I am trying to install the new ADC doorbell. Device is powered up and connected to the network (solid green light). Two problems:

1. When I try to install via the app, I get the error message stating that the customer does not have permission for video device installation.

2. The doorbell is ringing the chime non-stop. Is this a wiring problem or something else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for help.

When I try to install via the app, I get the error message stating that the customer does not have permission for video device installation.

This could be due to one of two things. Either your plan doesn’t include support for Video Analytics which is required by the ADC VDB770 (you have Complete so you are good here) or your ADC VDB770 needs a firmware update before it can be added. This firmware update currently is not being applied properly through the app, please login to the Alarm.com website to add this camera.

The doorbell is ringing the chime non-stop. Is this a wiring problem or something else I should be looking at?

Can you upload a photo of the wiring of your power module and chime?

What are the electrical characteristics, V and Va rating, of the doorbell transformer?

Ok thanks, I was able to install it from the website and update firmware as you said. Also, the handyman that installed this for me did not attach the power module. I have done that and the doorbell is now working, but I;'m getting no chime whatsoever. The mechanical chime in my house does not work (receives power but the actual chime mechanism doesn’t move), so I have been using an extender that wirelessly transmits a signal to a plug-in chime (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019EDQH2I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1). I used this without issue with the old ADC Skybell unit. Seems like it should still work unless the power module is creating frequency interference? I’d appreciate any thoughts before I try buying a different extender unit.

Have you tried changing the chime type in your video doorbell settings in Alarm.com? It looks like you currently have Mechanical selected. Try Digital.

Video > Settings > Video Device Info.

Yes, I’ve tried Digital as well; no change.

To best assist, can you upload a photo of the current wiring of your power module and chime transmitter?

What are the electrical characteristics, V and Va rating, of the doorbell transformer?

The transformer is 16V and 10Va. I’ve attached two pics. In case it’s hard to see, white wires from the power module are connected to the Front (ADC doorbell installed there) and transformer terminals on the mechanical chime. Gray wires are crimped to the wires that were connected to those terminals. The chime transmitter has 3 wires, one each for Front, Rear, and Transformer, and is connected accordingly. You may also see one extra wire that is not connected; it never was, probably from a 3rd doorbell that this old house had once upon a time.

Hmm, that’s some old cable. The cloth sheathed cable in there from the transformer, it is a little hard to tell but be sure there is no possibility of a short circuit the way it is resting in there.

Let’s try a reset of that camera and re-add it into the Alarm.com account. Make sure the power module is installed during pairing with Alarm.com.

Delete the cam under Video > Settings > Video Device Info

To reset, press and hold the doorbell button for at least 75 seconds until the LED starts blinking red and green.
Wait for the device to reboot.

A couple minutes after rebooting try adding the cam. Does that resolve the chime?

Ok, I reinstalled but the chime is still out. And no, the wires are not crossed in the chime box.

I went ahead and replaced the transmitter with this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0821PD774?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title) and now the chime is working again.

I think the key difference is the new transmitter uses a battery in addition to the hardwired power. My best guess as to what’s going on is that the power module is regulating power in a manner that reduces flow below what is sufficient to power the old transmitter. Because the new transmitter has a battery, it is not affected by the reduction in power.

Hopefully this helps someone else that face a similar issue in the future.

One more minor thing I’m running into: I have the LED turned off in settings, but the actual doorbell won’t seem to comply (still green). Any ideas on why or what to try? I wish we could just change the color of the LED like the old Skybell (not a fan of the green).

One more minor thing I’m running into: I have the LED turned off in settings, but the actual doorbell won’t seem to comply (still green). Any ideas on why or what to try?

Have you tried rebooting that device after sending the command to turn off the LED? Is Alarm.com indicating it is still off in settings?

Beautiful, I had to toggle the LED back on and then off again AFTER rebooting, but it’s now off. Thanks for the help.

And now the LED is back on. I haven’t rebooted or anything so not sure why it would start ignoring the setting again. Any ideas?

When did it turn back on? It looks like the settings were adjusted again on 6/14, turning on and then off.

Is the LED still on now or were you able to turn it back off?

As a hunch I am curious if a firmware update may have been applied. I don’t see record of that yet though.

I noticed it back on the night of 6/13. I toggled the setting on 6/14 in effort to get it back working, but no change and the LED has remained on since. I don’t think there’s been a firmware update based on ADC site which has said the latest firmware was installed since I added it to the system.

I spoke with ADC and they have updated the firmware and rebooted the device. Can you try toggling that setting again? Any change?

If not are you able to test the voltage reaching the doorbell?

I toggled again with no change in status. Don’t have a voltage tester at the moment, unfortunately.

I just noticed in that photo above of the chime, you mention having a 16V 10VA transformer, but that is showing as a 10V chime based on the sticker.

10V 5VA transformers are common on older doorbells. Can you confirm that transformer specs?

The transformer is in my basement and is labeled 16V. See attached photo.PXL_20210628_111731658