Doorbell installation options- no existing wiring

I recently purchased ADC-VDB106 for my home that has no existing wired doorbell or chime. Due to the electrician’s estimate to complete this work, I am looking for a cheaper alternative.

I recently learned that ADC-VDB770 can be used with a wall powered supply kit for homes without preexisting wires.

My questions are:

1. Does ADC-VBD106 have a similar kit available or is wiring my home for a doorbell the only solution with this camera?
  2. I purchased the digital doorbell adapter and a digital chime to go along with ADC-VBD106. Is the DDA still needed with VDB770 or do I need to switch to a resister instead?
  3. Can I/how can I connect ADC-VDB770 to the digital chime I just purchased?
  4. Will I be required to upgrade my monitoring plan from Protect to Compete with the use of the analytics doorbell?

Happy to assist!

1. Does ADC-VBD106 have a similar kit available or is wiring my home for a doorbell the only solution with this camera?

There is not a specific kit, no. While the SkyBell is meant to be installed in a scenario with a pre-existing AC transformer/doorbell setup, you can use a DC transformer to power the SkyBell when an existing setup/chime is not available.

The DC adaptor needs to be exactly 12 VDC 0.5–1.0 Amps. No additional hardware is required since this is the exact power draw needed for the SkyBell Doorbell Camera. A 12 VDC adapter is only used in no-chime setups.

More information on installing an Alarm.com compatible SkyBell without a chime can be found below:

1. I purchased the digital doorbell adapter and a digital chime to go along with ADC-VBD106. Is the DDA still needed with VDB770 or do I need to switch to a resister instead?

The 770 does not make use of the DDA. Installation for the 770 can be found below

1. Can I/how can I connect ADC-VDB770 to the digital chime I just purchased?

Connecting a VDB770 to a digital chime is possible. More information here:

1. Will I be required to upgrade my monitoring plan from Protect to Compete with the use of the analytics doorbell?

If using the VDB770, video analytics is necessary. If using multiple cameras, you would need to switch to the Surety Complete service plan.

Thanks Tyler! This was super helpful. Now that you have provided a solution for me to use my existing camera (106, I would like to know if it’s still possible to integrate the digital chime (with the DDA) into the setup using the 12 VDC adapter? My interpretation of your response is the use of the DC adapter will only work without a chime. Is that correct? My apologies for my lack of understanding this concept.

My interpretation of your response is the use of the DC adapter will only work without a chime. Is that correct?

Yes that is correct. The SkyBell Doorbell Camera is unable to be wired to a chime while using DC power