Doorbell ADC-VDB106 Poor Picture Quality

Good Afternoon,

I purchased a Skybell Trim Plus and I could not get it to link to my alarm.com account. So, I returned the Trim Plus and bought a ADC-VDB106 and I got it to link. However, the quality of the video from the Alarm.com branded doorbell is very bad compared to the Trim Plus. The Trim Plus I could get to work through the SkyBell app and the camera was set to 720p. The quality was so much better than the VDB106 currently linked to my account. I can hardly tell who is at the door with the alarm branded version but with the Skybell version was crystal clear.

It seems the settings in the Alarm.com website are set to 720p (better quality), any idea why the two doorbells would be drastically different? I could possibly post videos online to show the differences between the two.

Happy to assist!

Wireless quality is reporting as Bad at the install site. Have you tried rebooting the SkyBell and testing again? Any change?

Keep in mind you are looking for an upload speed of 2 Mbps at the install site as well.

Are you able to bring your wireless access point closer and test? Any change?

Hi Tyler, The Honeywell based doorbell cam worked just fine but would not connect to Alarm.com, apparently it’s not compatible.

I have 3 Unifi access points in my home, and full signal at my front door with it closed, on my phone and other devices which don’t make sense for this device to have poor signal quality. I’m also on ATT Fiber 1000Mbps Down and UP, as you can see in the image below my speed is surpassing the requirement easily. I’ll reset the device and have my Unifi system force the doorbell to use the closest access point.

Speedtest

The Honeywell based doorbell cam worked just fine but would not connect to Alarm.com, apparently it’s not compatible.

That’s correct, the Honeywell version of the SkyBell is not compatible with Alarm.com. For the Slim doorbell you would need the ADC-VDB105(6).

Your speed should be fine provided that is what your are getting at the access point. Rebooting and bringing an access point closer would be the next step in troubleshooting. Make sure its connected to 2.4GHz band as well.

Ok, so I’ve made some changes to our access point settings to achieve 90%+ on this device, moving the access points is just not going to happen since their all ceiling mounted in the most strategic place in the home to allow for full signal through the home and good signal up to 60 ft around the home… The video is still pretty terrible compared to the Honeywell version? Is this as good as it gets? If so, quite disappointing for a doorbell cam compared to other options on the market. I’d go with the round 1080p version but it’s a bit too large for the area my doorbell mounts.

The video is still pretty terrible compared to the Honeywell version? Is this as good as it gets?

I couldn’t say at this juncture as I have not experienced the video quality on the non compatible doorbell. I can say that the quality of video on the Slim 720p is typically clear however.

How does the video through testing look now that the connection is better? Too dark, pixelated etc? I am seeing it report at above 90% now so I would expect video quality to have improved.

How are you viewing the video? Live, downloaded, Saved Video clips etc? What device are you viewing the video on?

There should not be a big difference in quality of image. If there is, something would be off. Can you try changing the resolution setting, turning it down, save, wait five minutes, then turn it back to “720, Better”

Does that adjust the image at all?

If the trouble persists, can you send a screenshot example of the cam video to customerservice@suretyhome.com?