Door sensors

What is/are the best options to consider for wireless door sensor(s), and, if there is more than one good option, what are their respective pros and cons?

Also, are there door sensors suited for use outdoors?

Would this be in reference to a 2GIG Go!Control panel?

The 2GIG panel operates on the Honeywell 345MHz frequency you can use a few options. Differences would mostly come down to aesthetics with some differences in functionality.

The 2GIG DW10 is from 2GIG. Offers an external input for N/C dry contact devices as well.

They also offer a smaller DW40 sensor that includes a physical sensor bypass button. Its listed range is 275 ft from the panel (open air) which is a bit less than the DW10s 350ft

You could also use the Resolution Products RE 201 This sensor is larger than the others but offers external inputs as well as a lower operation temperature.

There are sensors suited for outdoor use. 2GIG offers their new DW30-345 outdoor sensor. The main sensor is 4.6 x 2.1 x 1.5 inches with a Wireless Signal Range: 350 ft.

Honeywell offers a similar outdoor sensor, the 58106OD

Do you have any specific use cased in mind?

I’m looking to use them to monitor trap doors to a crawl space, some inside and some outside. Would any of the sensors you mentioned be better for this application compared to the others?

What are external inputs used for? What are n/c dry contact devices?

An outdoor model should be used for any outdoor application.

An indoor model for indoor application.

All door/window contacts operate on the same basic premise of a reed switch closed by a magnet. The intended sensor simply needs to fit on the door and frame, which is typically the biggest limitation. Check the dimensions of the intended installation spots, however in most indoor cases any sensor will be sized appropriately. Outdoor sensors are larger.

External inputs are used for external wired sensors, using the wireless sensor as a transmitter for a wired contact, essentially turning a wired sensor into a wireless one.

A good example of when to use a wired contact is on a set of heavy metal doors. The metal will likely chew up the RF signal of a wireless contact, but a wired contact can be used and the wire run to a wireless sensor a distance away from the metal.

N/C = Normally Closed, meaning the circuit is closed when the sensor is not tripped. When the sensor is tripped, the circuit opens. Here’s an example of the concepts.

Dry contact simply refers to the fact that it is not producing voltage on the sensor circuit.

These characteristics will be detailed on any hardwire sensor data sheet or manual.

Thanks

What is a physical sensor bypass button?
How does the tamper resist function work to prevent defeating the device when mounted in an accessible location, like on an outdoor gate?

What is a physical sensor bypass button?

This would be referring to the DW40 bypass sensor. It is simply a button on the sensor itself that you can press which will bypass the next open event for that sensor. Once it closes again it is unbypassed.

It allows users to exit the door while the system is armed, without affecting the arming level or interacting with the panel in any way. Just press the bypass button on the sensor, the sensor itself does not send the next open signal, then when you leave and close the door it is re-enabled.

How does the tamper resist function work to prevent defeating the device when mounted in an accessible location, like on an outdoor gate?

I assume you are referring to the DW30? A description of the tamper switches is found in the manual here. There are two separate tamper switches, one which activates if the sensor cover is opened, and one which activates when the sensor is removed from its mounted location.

Iq 2 is better

Jason when I setup I 2ant to go live the same day I know just system really well

Jason when I setup I 2ant to go live the same day I know just system really well

Are you referring to a new order and test mode with the central station?

By default central station test mode is set for 7 days when your order is processed, however you can remove test mode at any time (instructions will be found in your welcome email) and monitoring would then be live.

Also, just in case, it looks like our team may be waiting on an order survey submission from your so that they can process your subscription order.

Are you waiting on submitting that until a specific date to get set up?

for doors and windows in general, how would you compare and contrast the DW10/DW40 sensors with the recessed sensors (e.g. DW20R), in terms of application, functionality, reliability, and any other considerations?

for doors and windows in general, how would you compare and contrast the DW10/DW40 sensors with the recessed sensors (e.g. DW20R), in terms of application, functionality, reliability, and any other considerations?

The main consideration when deciding between recessed and surface contacts would be the material of the door. A recessed contact is generally more heavily affected by metal doors/frames, and a surface contact would usually be advisable instead. Otherwise, the option is more of an aesthetic choice.

Installation of the DW20R requires use of a power drill and proper measuring, which may present installation challenges to some that aren’t present when installing a surface contact.

are there any salient differences between the honeywell 5816OD and the 2gig DW30-345?

can either be enrolled as a perimeter sensor?

Technically any sensor can be enrolled as any zone type, there is no limitation there. The DW30 and Honeywell 5816OD are functionally the same and can be used interchangeably in most circumstances.

The DW30 has a slightly wider officially stated magnetic gap maximum (2 inches vs 1.75).