door sensor

So I have a 2gig system and about a couple months ago I installer a door sensor on my dog kennel and I noticed that it always says open at night and when I go into the kennel in the morning the alarms says the door was closed. For some strange reason it always say open but when I go into the kennel it says closed but when I come back out it says open again. Please help, is there a setting in the control panel that needs to be changed so that it reads closed when the door is closed.

In order to best assist, what model of sensor are you referring to? What is the zone label in Alarm.com?

Is it just a wireless sensor using the built-in reed switch? Is it a sensor using the wired input?

Whenever a sensor is behaving in an odd way, the first thing I would check on 2GIG systems is the loop selected for that zone.

For example, if it is a DW10, if you are just using the built in reed switch it would be loop 2. If you are using a wired sensor connected to the wired input of the DW10, it needs to be loop 1.

It may help to post a photo of the sensor as it is installed on the door.

Here is my system, the dog kennel is approx 75 yards from the main panel. The distance shouldn’t be the problem because the thermostat works fine and its inside on the back wall further than the door sensor.

The magnet appears to be misaligned to the sensor. The magnet should never protrude beyond the end of the sensor housing. The three indicator ridges on the sensor cover should line up in the center of the magnet when the door is closed. The way it is installed it looks like those ridges would line up at the far end of the magnet. This would be the easiest thing to test first.

Keep in mind that Z-wave is a mesh network, and security sensors are simply point to panel. Z-wave signals can jump between 5 total devices, so it may be possible to arrange a series of Z-wave repeating devices to reach that point. (in fact I see a handful of devices on your system labeled “repeater” so I am guessing that is how you have it set up)

The max possible range of those door sensors is roughly 350 feet, but that is 100% open air, no intervening walls or material whatsoever. The signal is not boosted or assisted by any device unless you have a dedicated 345 RF repeater like the RE524X. You’re very possibly seeing distance problems here.

Just to verify, is that location humidity controlled? If the temperature or humidity fluctuates with the outside the DW10 is not a good choice for that location. You would want to use an outdoor sensor like the DW30 or the Honeywell 5816OD.

Thanks, moving the magnet fixed the problem.