Documentation (Manual, Guide, Tips, etc.) for Rules & Scheduled Automation?

Perhaps I’m missing something, but does this type of user documentation exist for Alarm.com? It would answer questions such as: what happens when Rules overlap? Does the order of Scheduled Automation entries matter? Is there a log available of what commands are actually issued as Rules or Scheduled Automation entries are executed? Dos and don’ts? Etc., etc.?

Why would they want documentation when they have suretyDIY.com?

what happens when Rules overlap?

Zwave commands are not toggle commands, an “on” command will do nothing if the device is already “on.” I assume you mean if more than one command would take place at once affecting the same device? Say, if a light is scheduled to turn off at 11pm. That light is also scheduled to turn on for 5 minutes every time “example” door opens then turn off. Door opens at 10:58?

You know, to be honest I would have to test that but I would wager that your light would turn off at 11pm.

Does the order of Scheduled Automation entries matter?

No, if I understand what you are asking. Can you clarify the concern?

Is there a log available of what commands are actually issued as Rules or Scheduled Automation entries are executed?

Your Alarm.com history will show the manual commands sent to devices as well as some rule events (I believe those initiated by ADC). Unfortunately, as far as an in depth panel command log, no. I have been suggesting this to the panel manufacturers for quite some time now to take some guess work out of troubleshooting.

I guess I’m used to having some basic documentation to help get started and get past the easy questions and pitfalls – I just thought I hadn’t stumbled over it yet. Tech support provided by sureDIY is excellent – perhaps some documentation would make the job a bit easier? Thanks!

I’m with you, and a lot of directed documentation can be found using the help tab feature on your Alarm.com pages. This feature is on every page and will give a description of the page contents.

One very tricky part about documentation is it has to be 100% accurate, and for a lot of things, that is easy to accomplish. Buying a TV, the manual will adequately provide all the info you need to get started/troubleshoot even ten years after you purchase it.

However, Alarm.com service and the system manufacturers very rapidly add features, release new complementary products, improve and streamline the user interface, etc. Documentation is often outdated in some way or another within a few months. General tips remain the same across the board, and you can find instructions on testing/setting up systems, Alarm.com basics, automation ideas, etc. here.

Thanks for the response and info.

Not surprising that the commands are not “toggle” in nature. I get the impression, however, that in addition the commands take into account the current STATE of the device. e.g. if the state of a light is stored as ON, another ON command at this point will NOT be issued. Is this correct?

Your example of the light OFF at 11pm colliding with a light turn ON command is indeed the kind of action I was trying to understand. Here’s another example involving a dimmable light:

1. Rule: Set light to DIM 95% if nearby motion sensor is triggered between 8pm and 6am
  2. Scheduled Automation: Same light set DIM 75% at sunset and LEAVE DIMMED
  3. Scheduled Automation: Same light set to DIM 25% at 11pm and LEAVE DIMMED
  4. Scheduled Automation: Same light set to DIM 10% at 3am and LEAVE DIMMED
    Scenarios:
  5. Motion sensor: NOT triggered: what happens to the light level at 11pm?
  6. Motion sensor: triggered at 9pm: what happens to the light level then and at 11pm?
  7. Motion sensor: triggered at 1am: what happens to the light level then and at 3am?
    Sorry if these sound simple-minded or unlikely, but I think the answers would help explain a lot about what happens in other cases and make it easier to understand how to create Rules and Scheduled Automation entries that work as intended.

Re order of Scheduled Automation entries: Yes, I think you got my question. You’re saying that I could define the Scheduled Automation entries listed in my example above in any order and get the same result. Right?

Re a log of detailed commands issued: Too bad that’s not available – it would help answer many of my questions without having to bug you :slight_smile:

Thanks for your assistance!

Commands are still sent. The state is not stored. “memory” does not come into play in the systems.

For lighting, this has been covered on the forum a few times. A lutron patent unfortunately stops the Zwave devices themselves from “richly transmitting status” which boils down to each time the panel wants to know what the status is, it has to ask.

Some panels and more dedicated Zwave hubs will consistently poll devices to maintain a status, but this can be taxing on the controller and not a great solution. Others may just pay for use of the patent.

There isn’t a hierarchy of commands, the last command to occur will take effect as written. For duration effects, the duration is handled by the panel, so the end of the duration would be a second command.

So the examples given:

1. DIM 25%
  2. DIM 95%, then DIM 25%
  3. DIM 95%, then DIM 10%
Sorry if these sound simple-minded or unlikely,

Not at all. I think it is likely less complicated than you expect. :slight_smile: