disarming the 2gig system without a master user code

I “inherited” a 2gig system when I bought my house and was told by the prior owner that the system is default coded, i.e., 1111 for the user code and 1561 for the installer code. In the process of verifying the operations of the alarm system, I triggered the alarm and the default code of 1111 and the 1561 did not disarm the system. I now took a short cut to “disable” the alarm by disconnecting all their power, including the backup battery. The worst thing is that a patrol guard showed up at my door ~ 20 mins later after the alarm went off. It is apparent that the prior owner somehow did not cancel the monitoring service yet, for whatever reasons.

Thru my research, it appears that if I re-connect the power, the system will go back to the armed mode. I also learned that we may be able to disarm the system by doing a hard reset to force the 2gig system back to factory settings, i.e., back to the 1111 or 1561 codes. Any recommendations to safely disarm the system without a guard showing up at my door again will be greatly appreciated!

You are correct; if it was turned off armed, it will be armed when you turn it back on. Unfortunately for your situation, you can not default the panel while its in the armed state. Although a reset may not have been possible anyways since some providers deny this functionality through programming. Do you know who previously monitored the system?

You can check to see if the system’s cellular module has been released here. If it is available for use and not locked, it means that your system is not being monitored. If its not released, it may be monitored or the previous provider may have chosen to not release it. But getting to the module number requires turning the system on again (the cellular number will be displayed on the same screen from which you run a cell phone test) (not an ideal option given the circumstances), finding a the original box (an unlikely possibility), or opening the panel and hoping the module number is printed on the module itself.

The safest thing to do would be to remove the cellular module before you power it back on. That way it can’t call out and report an alarm if it gets tripped again. Also, on the off chance that it’s connected to a phone line, disconnect that as well. You should be able to pull the serial number off of the module. (AT&T Modules will label the right number as the “IMEI”, Verizon usually labels it “ADC” and get some more information.)

Once you have a usable module (hopefully the one you have is released, but you can buy replacements for ~$90) you can set up new service with the system. Part of the new account set up should initiate a reset of the installer code. With that new account, you could disarm the system remotely via your Alarm.com powered account as well as change the master user code to anything of your choosing.

Monitronics is the current monitoring company. Thus, I believe that it is being monitored now but I could be wrong.

The Linear/2gig technical support actually told me about the hard reset. You are right, the 2gig tech did mention that if the system is locked, i.e. thru question 45, I will not able to hard reset the system. However, the good news is before the system is armed, I did check the default 1561 install code and it works. I was able to go into the installer box. I should have changed the user code before I test the arming feature. Oh well, a big lesson learned.

Assuming the system is not locked, and based on your recommendation, should I take out the cell module before I perform a hard reset? What are the exact sequences? The current 2gig system is connecting to a “take over” module that is controlling all the existing hardwired window/door sensors.

Finally, should I try the hard reset first or check the cell module first. Thanks for your quick response.

I will pull the cell module first as the hard reset won’t be possible while its armed. Especially since you believe it is being monitored. I’ve never tested it, but I highly doubt you’d be able to get into the installer toolkit while its armed and/or going off.

I agree with your assessment. Let’s switch the discussion on getting the new service. I should pull the cell module out and check it using the link your provided:

1. If the cell module is released and not locked, I go to alarm.com to signup for new service and they can reset the system. I just pay the $15/month self monitoring fee.

2. If the cell module is not released or locked, I bought a replacement cell module and sign up with alarm.com and they can reset the system. I pay the ~$90 cell module cost plus the $15/month self monitoring fee

For my current situation, I am just curious, is there other option that the system can be reset without buying a replacement cell card or a monthly monitoring service from alarm.com? e.g., pay alarm.com a one time fee to help me to reset the system.

Let me address these in order:

1. Alarm.com does not provide service directly to clients. The great news is that suretyDIY does, so if you chose to use our service, powered by Alarm.com, you would want to chose between the two options shown here. You would select your desired option and purchase it from our store. You’ll be walked through the next steps as you check out.

2. You would do the same as the above, however you would either purchase a module before hand and have the serial number ready when you order service, or you could purchase the module with service. We sell AT&T and Verizon modules, but are happy to help customers who have purchased elsewhere.

Service is month to month, so if you sign up for service and then decide you don’t want to use it you can cancel it before its time to pay for another month and your one month of service.

Great! The plans are very affordable. Just would like to clarify the differences between to release and to lock of a cell module. My current understanding is that:

1. To lock means the alarm dealer changed the default installer code, and/or lock the question 45 that a reset back to default is disabled.

2. To release means the card has been registered by a alarm company, e.g. Surety or monitronics, that the alarm company has to release or “unregister” it so that a new alarm company can reuse the card and register it with alarm.com

Does it sound right? Thanks!

Many people use the term “locked” when discussing the panel programming and also when discussing the module being released, but you’re explanation makes perfect sense.

BTW, what is SuretyDIY’s policy of “locking”/“release”? i.e., if I use your company and get a card, do your company change the installer code and/or disable Q45? If so, will you let the customer know the new changed installer code?

Furthermore, as for my situation when I “inherited” a SuretyDIY installed 2gig, and just say my cell module/system is locked by Surety, and I call your company and ask for a favor to unlock the system or give me the code, what is your company’s policy to deal with request like this. Thx.

suretyCAM security and automation as a whole (and all of its divisions, suretyCAM Residential, suretyCAM Commercial and suretyDIY) feels STRONGLY that if you’ve purchased equipment, then it is yours to do with what you wish. If you purchase a module from us, it will be unlocked unless and/or until you set up monitoring. If/when you choose to not be monitored, we always release your module when your account is canceled (regardless of the origin of the module).

Sometimes there is need to lock programming for clients who are not DIYers and for whom a company might have to roll out trucks to fix a system that might be changed accidentally. However, we want all of our DIYers to always have full programming access to make changes as they see fit, so our suretyDIY monitored customers will never be locked out by our company. You will also always have access to the installer code.

Excellent! I appreciate all your help. I will test the cell module and get back to you if I have any additional questions. Have a great evening!