Contact troubles

Hello,
I’m just setting up my new 2gig system and I’m having some odd problems that the internet is not providing any answers for:

1. 2 of my 4 thin door/window contacts do not register open/close events but they do register tamper events. They are setup the same as the other two that work (loop 2).

2. My recessed door contact does register an open/close event when learning during setup but does not register during normal alarm operations or while doing a sensor test.

Any suggestions?

Did you install main panel center of home, above ground level? What are the signal strengths for the sensors in question?

Are they 2GIG sensors (DW10 and DW20R)?

How far away are the magnets (less than 1/2")? There are magnet marks, do they line up with the marks on the side of sensor itself?

On the recessed, did you install on jamb hinge side, or lock handle side?

Yes they are DW10 and DW20R.
I haven’t even installed the sensors yet. I have them a few inches away from the panel…

To be clear, I haven’t seen the two DW10’s sense contact (open/close) ever. When using “Learn” during program to detect them, I had to open the back of them, triggering the tamper sensor, which then had them register during programming…

using “Learn” during program to detect them, I had to open the back of them, triggering the tamper sensor, which then had them register during programming….

That is not how to program them. If it doesn’t trigger by simply moving the magnet, something is wrong.

Let me see a pic of sensors and magnet. And screenshot of programming. Sensors may be defective, or improperly programmed.

Since multiple sensors are having the same issue, I suspect programming. Though it is possible they are all defective/damaged. It is possible that they have bad batteries too. I seem to vaguely recall someone else having similar issues and it was the batteries.

Here’s one of the DW10s and programming.

Are there typically this many defective units (50%)?

Second image

dialer delay enabled? You do know how it works, right?
See: http://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/dialer-delay-question/#post-33818

May be bad batteries.

Highly unlikely they are all defective.

Remove all from programming, reprogram and manually enter the serial as shown on box.

DW10

(01) entry delay[door] or (03) perimeter[window]
(0862) dw10
serial
(0) new equip
Loop (2) 2
(0) disable dialer delay
Voice descriptor
(1) report enabled
(1) supervised enabled
(01) voice only

DW20R

(01) entry delay 1 or (02) Entry delay 2
(0863) dw20r
serial
(0) new equip
Loop (1) 1
(0) disable dialer delay
Voice descriptor
(1) report enabled
(1) supervised enabled
(01) voice only

That is an unusually high percentage to be defective, although its always possible you got a bad/damaged batch.

Does programming deviate from that shown here?

Did what you suggested and the DW20R works now. I had it on Loop 2 which I’m guessing was the issue (don’t understand the loops yet).

The DW10s still aren’t working. Is it possible that the batteries would be good enough to handle tamper alerts but not contact alerts? Or are they likely defective?

if you have some other DW10’s, switch out the batteries and see if they work…if they do, replace the batteries (walgreens carries them), if not, then they may be bad.

Also can you confirm that the serial numbers programmed for those sensors matches what is printed on the sensors themselves?

serial numbers match. Tried new batteries - didn’t work. Must have just gotten two bad sensors :confused:

Were these purchased through suretyDIY? If so our return policy is here.

If not, this does sound like a problem with the sensors themselves and you will want to contact the seller.

I had this same problem with one of my sensors. I’m not exactly sure what I did to correct it. I checked programming, removed batteries for a few minutes, lightly banged it on the table a few times, and ran the magnet around it. I got it working, installed it and have not had any problems with it. It always registers with the chime when the door is opened so I assume it is working.

lightly banged it on the table a few times, and ran the magnet around it. I got it working

The Fonzie school of electronic repair.

In all seriousness, that sounds like a physical issue if banging it on the table resolved it. Perhaps the reed switch would not separate until that shock?

It was very lightly! I was thinking a switch inside was stuck . It worked a few times out of the box then stopped while I was testing before installing. That’s when Fonzie came out to help.